Simulating drum overheads mics ... ?

Musart

Hi to all,

I wonder if any of you might have some hints to achieved a simulation of drum overheads on recorded wave tracks.

Lets say I have all the separated wave tracks (kick, snare, etc...). These tracks have been converted from midi to wave tracks. (ie livesynth pro). I process them all with regular effect (eq, compressor, etc) this is usual business as you know but ...

.. If there any special plugin (vst or dx) that simulate two overheads microphone or maybe any reverb settings i can experiment ?

Maybe i should try to duplicate all the drums track, get them into one stereo tracks and adjust eq and reverb ... to simulate the overhead ... i don't know... what do you think ?

Thank you for helping

:confused:

If you've got some decent speakers and mics, play back a stereo mix of you tracks (focusing on cymbals and toms) through your speakers to make a "room" track.

Shorten or lengthen distance depending on how terrible your control room is

-Otherwise, make a stereo track (turn the kick down a bit) and add some room reverb.

:)
Chris

How about this:

Place Condenser mic out in the room.

Play back the tracks you want panned to the left through a speaker, and record it. This will be your left "overhead" track.

Then do the same thing for the tracks you want panned to the right.
Then simply hard pan these left and right as if they were overheads.
That will add some "room" tone to your tracks.

Tim

Oh Great ideas from you two !

I didn't think about recording from speaker ... i'll try that !!!

I tried once make a stereo track overdubbing all the single tracks but i got what it seems to be a phase problem... for example snare sound like a flanger and so ... In this case maybe a slight delay and/or reverb and eq to simulate the distance between a snare mic and a overhead mic will do the job... i'll try this too.

Thank you

Remember though, when creating an ambience track this way it does no good if the speaker sounds horrible in the room. Get it sounding great in the space first and then work on the best mic position. Not too far or it will get mushy and not too close or it will sound chorused and phasey.

Hi All,

I did not get good results with my speaker.

But, i got great result with this :

I duplicate the snare, toms (L & R), hi hats tracks

I lower their volume at -14 db

I Insert a Waves Thrueberb to emulate room and lower hi - frequency slightly.

Then i bounced them in stereo with the cymbals track.

So i got really realistic overheads ambience.

Thank you !

Back