Paiste's are just too high priced.

dreib

Since my first drum set Ive always played Paiste cymbals, and since then Ive played almost all their lines, 602-2000-2002-3000-rude-signiture-dark energy-& twenty's. Now I just have some 2002's and some second generation twenty series cymbals. Im bored with these and want to try out some new lines but DAMN it seems like paiste's have gone way high. Even used prices are quite high when compared to other brands.

Im gonna do what I said I never would do and that is start trying out Zildjians, Ive had a few over the years as practice cymbals but now its time for the switch.

American made, way more plentiful, and way less money on the used market,

I used to always switch around cymbals. Always. New, used, all sorts of different cymbals. Then I got a full line up of 2002s and RUDEs and haven't thought of cymbals since. None better IMO.

RUDES are way to heavy for my taste now. I still love 2002's , at least thins , anything heavier and the sustain gets on my nerves. Im getting a sweet deal on some A customs , I'll post some pics later if the deal holds up.

Paiste are spendy, I remember about 8 years ago you could buy them for ridiculously cheap at massmusic, don't know if that sites still up or if they still have a great discount. I remember buying an 18" 2002 crash from them in 2006 for $181 *including* shipping, the cheapest GC had was $212.

But yeah 2002's are amazing. My cymbal lineup has 4-5 different brands, but I sure love my 2002 crash the most.

Ok I scored a sweet deal on some zildjians , I got :

20 medium ride A custom
18 fast crash A custom
17 K hybrid
16 crash A custom
14 HH A custom

All for $550.00

Little bit dirty but no flea bites or anything , god I love craigslist!

If those don't work out for you, try Sabian. For whatever reason, they don't seem to break as easily as Zildjians. At least for me.

If those don't work out for you, try Sabian. For whatever reason, they don't seem to break as easily as Zildjians. At least for me.

I concur. Sabians would be my next choice after Paistes. I've never gotten along with Zildjians.

The first I noticed when I played them awhile last night was how much softer they felt.

I sometimes have a tendency to get lost in the music and get carried away while playing so Im thinking maybe I should just flip these cymbals before I destroy them?

The first I noticed when I played them awhile last night was how much softer they felt.

I sometimes have a tendency to get lost in the music and get carried away while playing so Im thinking maybe I should just flip these cymbals before I destroy them?
That's pretty much how I feel about zildjians - particularly As. They're slow, soft, and don't cut enough for me.

The Zs were great though! They were like RUDEs. but not as good.

I aint just saying it because I have them - I tried lots of cymbals, the 2002s literally do everything very well. You just gotta pay for them.

The worst cymbal I have ever heard was a Z custom rock crash. I could see how really heavy cymbals could work well for articulation on a ride or hi hat but this crash sounded like a china with a hint of gong.

That's pretty much how I feel about zildjians - particularly As. They're slow, soft, and don't cut enough for me.

The Zs were great though! They were like RUDEs. but not as good.

I aint just saying it because I have them - I tried lots of cymbals, the 2002s literally do everything very well. You just gotta pay for them.

Well I just gave my 8 year old son my last 2002 crashes, 17 crash and a 18 thin crash, so I can kiss those good bye

I'm pretty sure every brand has gone up in price significantly over the last 20 years or so - well more than inflation. In the late 90s you could get some high end hi hats for $150 new. Now they're like $300-400.

I never established one brand or type of cymbal that I liked. To me, certain cymbals work for certain songs. That said, I bought my first Paiste signature crash last year and I love it. -Sounds good live and records well too. I also like A custom crashes (generally). I always liked Sabian AAX hi hats and ziljian rides. I'm tempted to try a Bosphorus ride.

Back