Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: micing drums from the inside

snapper is offline Senior Member
    Thanks

Question

Sign in to disable this ad
    Has anyone had any experience micing their snare and or toms from the inside. Ive ordered a May miking system for my snare which is a xl57 that simply mounts inside the drum.

Tim Brown is offline Why 2K?
    Thanks
    Yep.

I like The May stuff.

I've used the May's on the Kick drums for ages.(D112's)
    I do not use it on the snare-simply because that Would man I'd have to have one for each snare.

Tim

Thanks
    Yah I use the May d112 on the kick too and it works great. Ive got the may 57 on order for the snare and am hoping for some feedback there.

Thanks
    Originally posted by snapper
    Yah I use the May d112 on the kick too and it works great. Ive got the may 57 on order for the snare and am hoping for some feedback there.

Well, I've used it in a live situation-and I liked it alot (The original 57, from about 10 years ago.)
    But I haven't used it for recording.

Tim

gregg garlock is offline Newbie
    Thanks

Talking snare

I use the May system and love it. The snare 57 gives you a good spike but you will have to experiment with positioning for more "snare" sound. be prepared to change the head quite a few times to get it right but you should be pleased with the results. if you can't get a good sound try some different heads, etc. don't forget you can always blend the internal mic with an external mic for a better sound. if you have more questions on the MAY/EA system you can email me or post here i've been an endorser for the MAY system for about five years and i've been using them live and in the studio since '88. I actually own some of the first 57s to hit the market. May has since reconfigured the windings on the capsule to eliminate the midrange respose so you don't have to radically eq it out.

Thanks
    Hey gregg can you offer any sugjestions on heads that you liked or didnt like. I'm currently using an evans power center.

Thanks
    One more thing. What kind of positining has worked well for you.

gregg garlock is offline Newbie
    Thanks
    hey snapper my snare head configuration goes like this (and this is for all my snare drums-picollo,chrome,wood,bronze,etc.) REMO ebony pinstripe on top- REMO ambassador snare side- extra wide snares 42 strand I think- use snare cord at the strainer side and mylar strip at the butt end. I've found this set up to work in most if not all situations unless you do alot of brush work. but for rock, blues, country, and all else you will consistently get a good crack, some meat on the bottom, a nice ring near the rim and plenty of "white noise" from the wide snares. The mylar strip at the butt end has no "give" to it while the snare cord at the strainer end will pull or "give" a little so it wont choke the snares. as far as positioning the mic I have it angled towards the center of the drum slightly tilted off to the side. I don't know what kind of hitter you are but you can get different sounds by adjusting both angles or getting closer to the head for "proximity effect" i.e. low end. your best bet is to experiment and find the sound that works best for you. good luck let me know how it all works out!

Thanks
    Hey gregg. I got the may 57 installed today and this is what happened. We put on a brand new evans power center on the top and a g1 on the bottom. I tried a couple of different mic positions but all I could hear was massive snare string. I also have a 57 on the outside two inches off and it sounds fine. The internal mic sounds completely wacked. Do you have any suggestions for correcting this.

Thanks
    Originally posted by snapper
    Hey gregg. I got the may 57 installed today and this is what happened. We put on a brand new evans power center on the top and a g1 on the bottom. I tried a couple of different mic positions but all I could hear was massive snare string. I also have a 57 on the outside two inches off and it sounds fine. The internal mic sounds completely wacked. Do you have any suggestions for correcting this.
    Hey Snapper, what size snare did you put it in?
    What's it made from? What Model?

Tim

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information