importance of multiple overhead mics

I'm aiming to do the drum track tomorrow night or Friday. The rest of it shouldn't take too long, certainly nothing like Paranoid Android. I used 30 tracks on that, which I thought was a lot, until a semi-pro mate of mine told me he'd just completed a mix with 150+ tracks! How does anybody manage a bunch of tracks so big? I'm sure I don't!

Well, I think 30 tracks is a lot. So there you go! :)

Looking forward to it. Here's one I did at the same time as "Memories of Tomorrow" but didn't mix until late that night, just before I passed out. The only other thing I recorded with the new overheads so far. A Sick Of It All song- Injustice System.

https://soundcloud.com/user92696274096/injustice-system/s-zywWb

I can tell this is good advice. My problem is that I had the perfect broad 10 years ago and fucked it up. Ever since then I've been comparing the current broad to her and not being satisfied. I need to get it through my head that the perfect broad ain't coming back and I'd better settle for a good one or there ain't gonna be any NotThatBright Jr.s for grandma to dote on.

Don't ever settle on a broad. That's a no-win. Find the right one or stay single. You let one get away, but there are others.

No, you got that a little wrong. As soon as you get married you will have no "you time". She will want you to be up her ass constantly, no pun intended. You will be newlyweds and she will want 100% of your undivided attention. Just ride out the storm. As you give her 100% of your attention she will eventually come to realize that men are fucking annoying and she will want you to have your own space. This is when you start to win. The trick is maintaining your own space while also making enough time for her. If you can walk that line, you will be a content man in all areas of life. If you can't manage it, you will be miserable. I got my own "man room" pretty quick, and it's been awesome ever since.

Bottom line, don't get married unless you really really find the right broad.

Words of wisdom from the Gerg dude...I'm going through a divorce right now, was with the same woman for almost 16 years, found out a lot of things I kinda knew already, but one never wants to hear are true...Walked away from everything I'd worked for all those years, except my computer & music gear...Having your own space is essential to a relationship dude, if you don't have time for yourself, you'll end up at each other's throats all the time....

My ex hated my music, hated the noise I made playing it....I tried every way I could think of to keep the noise down, but it's about impossible doing what I really wanted to do: use real amps/cabs/mics in my recordings...That wasn't the reason we split, but I did walk on eggshells for a long, long time trying not to "rock the boat"....Never again....If I'm gonna be with a woman, she's gonna accept who & what I am, what I love to do, or she can kick rocks while she's heading down the road, period...

What I'm trying to tell you is don't ever try to change yourself, or stop doing things you love because somebody else wants you to, it'll come back to bite you in the ass eventually...

In short,take your time, & make sure she's the right one, then, think it over again....

Don't ever settle on a broad. That's a no-win. Find the right one or stay single. You let one get away, but there are others.

Exactly...there's millions of 'em out there, just finding the "one" is the whole deal....Hang in there dude...

Sorry to go off-topic & derail this thread, but I felt I needed to speak up before this guy does something he's gonna regret....;).

Looking forward to it. Here's one I did at the same time as "Memories of Tomorrow" but didn't mix until late that night, just before I passed out. The only other thing I recorded with the new overheads so far. A Sick Of It All song- Injustice System.

Well in my not-very-humble opinion, that's the best sounding recording and mix I've heard you make so far. The "air" that those decent mics have given the kit has made the guitars sound less dense and given them their own space. All the bottom end of the kit sounds much meatier, and compared to your earlier stuff, the whole track is starting to take on that "sheen" of a well-recorded and mixed piece of music. If I would make one criticism, it would be that I don't like the tuning of the rack toms. They're boinging like a toy kit, not thudding out as a meaty rock kit ought to, and like the rest of the kit is starting to do.

Thanks. I know this is the only way to go, but it helps my sanity hearing it from someone else, since I'm constantly feeling pressure to do something I know is stupid.

minerman said:
Exactly...there's millions of 'em out there, just finding the "one" is the whole deal....Hang in there dude...

Sorry to go off-topic & derail this thread, but I felt I needed to speak up before this guy does something he's gonna regret.....

I appreciate you posting your story. As I mentioned, every little bit helps when it comes to reinforcing in my mind that I'm doing the smart thing by not just doing what I'm "supposed to" do as a guy my age.

And don't worry about derailing the thread, I did that long ago. I take all the blame for that. :)

Bubba Po said:
Well in my not-very-humble opinion, that's the best sounding recording and mix I've heard you make so far. The "air" that those decent mics have given the kit has made the guitars sound less dense and given them their own space. All the bottom end of the kit sounds much meatier, and compared to your earlier stuff, the whole track is starting to take on that "sheen" of a well-recorded and mixed piece of music. If I would make one criticism, it would be that I don't like the tuning of the rack toms. They're boinging like a toy kit, not thudding out as a meaty rock kit ought to, and like the rest of the kit is starting to do.

I'm always happy to read your not-very-humble opinions. I'm sure I can do a much better mix, and I'll probably do that tonight.

Last edited:
Ok...lol...The way you were typing/talking, I thought you were a 19-20 year old kid....I just turned 44 btw...I've been married twice, once when I was 23 (lasted a whole year...ha!!!), & again when I was 35 (the 16 years I spent with the ex, we lived together for about 9 years before we got married...)....I was just wondering dude....

Do you really worry what other people think & say about you man??? And just because you're not married, you're a jerkoff???? Damn dude....lol...

Ok...lol...The way you were typing/talking, I thought you were a 19-20 year old kid....I just turned 44 btw...I've been married twice, once when I was 23 (lasted a whole year...ha!!!), & again when I was 35 (the 16 years I spent with the ex, we lived together for about 9 years before we got married...)....I was just wondering dude....

Do you really worry what other people think & say about you man??? And just because you're not married, you're a jerkoff???? Damn dude....lol...

Sounds quite familiar...

And yeah, lol :)

Ok...lol...The way you were typing/talking, I thought you were a 19-20 year old kid....

Well, this is why I might feel a bit embarrassed... :)

minerman said:
I just turned 44 btw...I've been married twice, once when I was 23 (lasted a whole year...ha!!!), & again when I was 35 (the 16 years I spent with the ex, we lived together for about 9 years before we got married...)....I was just wondering dude....

No, I don't really worry about what other people think & say... that's why I'm still in the position I'm in. :) Otherwise, I would have caved years ago and married someone, etc.

And I call everybody jerkoffs, including myself. In fact, especially myself... I don't take myself too seriously. I try to look at myself "from a distance", so to speak... and often when I do, I see someone I'd rip on just as I'd rip on jerkoffs from my standard vantage point. And if I deserve it, I've got to give it to myself as I would any other jerkoff. It's only fair. :)

What a thread this has been - taking in microphone choice and placement; the philosophy of recording; American Football, religion and atheism, the coming of age of a young man and relationship advice. Thread gold. :D

Way way better. You're getting there.

I think you're getting a pretty nice representation in the overheads now. Floor tom sounds good. Start working on the kick, snare, and rack toms now.

What a thread this has been - taking in microphone choice and placement; the philosophy of recording; American Football, religion and atheism, the coming of age of a young man and relationship advice. Thread gold. :D

The Aristocrats! :)

But seriously, thanks to everyone in the thread who helped me out. I'm $800 lighter than when the thread began, but you just can't put a price on the knowledge I picked up here (though if you did, it would likely be less than $800! :) ) I won't have any more questions for the thread, you've helped me enough. Happy Thanksgiving!

Back