how do you get that Zed Leppelin sound?

Has anyone noticed the spelling yet? 'Zed Leppelin'?

Even after to said it, I looked up the spelling, checked it out, looked again, I bet it took me two-three minutes to even see it. :wtf:

Now it is even funnier.

you'll need beyer m160 mics, or even a single beyer m160 would nail the sound, they definitely have the bonham sound, and sound superb as overheads or percussion mics, then a dynamic mic for the kick drum like an sm57 or RE20 whatever they used in the late 60s early 70s.... I think eddie kramer used the 1176 compressors a lot, it is a key part of the thickness and sound....OOOPS only just noticed that this thread is 2 years old sorry

Hmmm...How to get "that" sound. First record your kit with all close mics. Use your daw to convert the recorded drum transients to midi notes (the Cakewalk Sonar X series is great for this). Purchase a "Lepplin" type kit for your midi drum sampler (Slate, Superior, EZ..etc...) (and the drum sampler VST if you need it.) Load up the drum sampler and the newly purchased kit. Point you midi notes to the sampler **Poof** you instantly have "that" sound. LOL

Or you could buy a midi drum kit, a drum sampler, the "Lepplin" kit.... No wave to midi note conversion needed.... I think this would be the easiest way really....

John Bonham's sound starts with him. Since you ain't him (nor is anyone else) you're already at a disadvantage Follow that with drum gear selection and tuning. Bonham tuned his drums remarkably high. Here,s a video that describes the drums (this case his green sparkle Ludwig kit), cymbals, head selections, and how they were tuned. Check it out:Drum Tech Jeff Ocheltree (John Bonham's kit) - YouTube Start there.

John Bonham's sound starts with him. Since you ain't him (nor is anyone else) you're already at a disadvantage Follow that with drum gear selection and tuning. Bonham tuned his drums remarkably high. Here,s a video that describes the drums (this case his green sparkle Ludwig kit), cymbals, head selections, and how they were tuned. Check it out:Drum Tech Jeff Ocheltree (John Bonham's kit) - YouTube Start there.

Yup, that's it in a nutshell. Even if you got all of his exact gear and tuned it exactly the way he did, you still won't sound like him because you aren't him in that time and place. He was something special, that's why we know his name. None of us are that special. Most people can't play, tune, or record their own basic kit successfully, so it's extra stupid to try to copy one of the greatest rock drummers of all time forever and ever..

Yup, that's it in a nutshell. Even if you got all of his exact gear and tuned it exactly the way he did, you still won't sound like him because you aren't him in that time and place. He was something special, that's why we know his name. None of us are that special. Most people can't play, tune, or record their own basic kit successfully, so it's extra stupid to try to copy one of the greatest rock drummers of all time forever and ever..

Yeah, all may be true but a guy can dream can't he. Don't want to completely crush the buzz. :D I don't think there's anything wrong with aspiring to sound/play like one of the best and Bonham is not a bad choice to try to emulate (just not easy). Every time I sit behind my kit, Bonham is the first thing I hear right up until I actually start to play, then it's back to reality, a mere mortal I am but 35yrs later I'm still chasing the dream..:facepalm:

All true..

Yeah, all may be true but a guy can dream can't he. Don't want to completely crush the buzz. :D I don't think there's anything wrong with aspiring to sound/play like one of the best and Bonham is not a bad choice to try to emulate (just not easy). Every time I sit behind my kit, Bonham is the first thing I hear right up until I actually start to play, then it's back to reality, a mere mortal I am but 35yrs later I'm still chasing the dream..:facepalm:

I agree there also.

I don't disagree with having a goal, chasing a dream, etc, but a goal has to be realistic. It has to be attainable. I can wish and dream to be a pro football player all I want. It aint gonna happen though. Ever. Sounding or playing like Bonham is not realistic, even for really good drummers. His own son is a really good drummer. He plays Zep songs all the time. Doesn't sound like dad at all. Even if you could play that well in that way, capturing it in mics is a whole 'nother round of getting your ass kicked.

This is no different than guitarists trying to capture Slash or Eddie Van Halen's sound. They are why they sound like they do. It's them, not the equipment or recording technique.

Back