How can I get a drum sound similar to this?

JG96

I really like the way the drums sound on this album. Particularly the toms. They sound very open but controlled if that makes sense. From a studio session I watched it appears the drummer coated heads with a bunch of tape on them. Maybe he is tuning his drums for a lot of resonance and then muffling them a ton? Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hWog2Rveds

To be honest, the mix was so messy-sounding, I could barely even hear what the drums sounded like. Everything just sounded like muddy mush to me. To each his own, of course, but I really don't like the sound of the production on that album.

I really like the way the drums sound on this album. Particularly the toms. They sound very open but controlled if that makes sense. From a studio session I watched it appears the drummer coated heads with a bunch of tape on them. Maybe he is tuning his drums for a lot of resonance and then muffling them a ton? Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hWog2Rveds

My guess....coated heads, tuned pretty open, moderate muffling, lots of compression.

To be honest, the mix was so messy-sounding, I could barely even hear what the drums sounded like. Everything just sounded like muddy mush to me. To each his own, of course, but I really don't like the sound of the production on that album.

Fair enough. I find this album to be lo-fi in a charming way but everything still sounds big. I wouldn't want my own music to sound quite the same in terms of production but the toms sound pretty great IMHO.

My guess....coated heads, tuned pretty open, moderate muffling, lots of compression.

I'll give that a shot next time I'm in the studio. My drummer has clear heads right now but I have found that it is not too difficult to make clear coated heads sound.

I found out this album was record at a place called Sex Dungeon Studios. It seems to be a pretty down and dirty renovated warehouse. They also have a Pro-M Kit which is pretty cool.
photo14.jpg

That they are. The drummer in my band recently got a Pro-M kit used. Greg rocks one too.

Back