Flooring for my drumset

Sleazey

Hello all! I'm new to this site, but I'm glad I came accross it and have already browsed many useful posts! I had a question of my own though and didn't know exactly where to leave it so I'm going to leave it here.

I moved in to a new place about 2 years ago and there just simply wasn't ANY ROOM for my drum kit at the time, but now there is a little spot I have where I could make it work. The flooring (room is sorta near the kitchen but in a little cubby) is all tile.

I was thinking my best bet for a platform with traction and good sound would be this.

1. Put some plywood down over the tiles

2. Get some material maybe like contact cement and put down Felt on the top of the plywood for that carpet like effect.

I was wondering if anyone might have some other good ideas I could work with and that would sound great and hold the drums in place!

If it is just for movement, a drum carpet is the classic way.

They sell many commercial ones, but none are all that great and expensive. I picked up a 6x4 cheap thin carpet from my local dollar style shop. Works amazing and I bought three more.

If for acoustics, the carpet can help. In my studio, I wanted to provide a somewhat of an absorption/barrier, Built wood framed Stage with mass loaded vinyl membrane and Roxul in between and wood boards covered with thin carpet. I just add another layer of carpet if I feel the need for more dampening, but what I have on there now is great, very thin.

But again, just for movement, a small rug is the way.....

But again, just for movement, a small rug is the way.....

You know I was thinking just a carpet, but then I got into the thought process I stated above, not entirely sure why. Tile I have is sort of un even so I was thinking throw down plywood and sort of leveling it out and throwing felt on top. So far I think I'm going to stick with what I'm doing and if needed I can get some really small carpets put under spots. I already invested in the felt!

You know I was thinking just a carpet, but then I got into the thought process I stated above, not entirely sure why. Tile I have is sort of un even so I was thinking throw down plywood and sort of leveling it out and throwing felt on top. So far I think I'm going to stick with what I'm doing and if needed I can get some really small carpets put under spots. I already invested in the felt!

Maybe the something soft but dense on the bottom of the plywood to level the wood over it and then a very thin layer of felt.

I can say that too think will feel mushy and feel strange for the stability of the drums, but mostly might dampen the sound too much. Particularly with the floor tom the floor reflection is important.

See what you get, it is a great thing having a drum set up. Hours of enjoyment!! I would bug out if I couldn't play drums at home. Shoot I almost bought a huge vocal booth at one point to play at all hours. Wiser thinking prevailed, at least in that case!!

All the best to u and your music!!

If the tile is uneven, just throwing down plywood might be a bad idea because it can teeter and rock around. That could make unwanted noise if you're recording. I'd suggest you just go to walmart or something and get a cheap throw rug or industrial mat.

If you wanted to get fancy, build an actual drum riser. Some people do this and say it enhances their sound.

Home Depot also sells those thick rubber truck bed liners. Not so cheap but a couple of those could do the trick as well.

I could not find it online and have only seem it displayed in one Home Depot (I am a contractor and am in various HD's every friggen day almost).

HERE is a 48X72" 1/8" thick version. Not sure that would be adequate for kick drum spikes avoiding damage to tile floor.

Buy a rug , I have an emotional bond with mine, it has had had beer and every kind of shot you could think of spilled on it , cigarette burns from my younger days and has been pissed and shit on by a peek-a-poo, it smells and is ugly as hell, and I will never get rid of it.......EVER!!

Yeah, the cheap interlocking impact floor mats they make for standing in commercial areas go for like 7$ on sale at Harbor Freight tool. I think for 4 2x2 size. They are soft and the spikes would come thru, but if u lay that down to level and balance the ply sod on top and the felt on top or thin rug, could be a nice way.

Buy a rug , I have an emotional bond with mine, it has had had beer and every kind of shot you could think of spilled on it , cigarette burns from my younger days and has been pissed and shit on by a peek-a-poo, it smells and is ugly as hell, and I will never get rid of it.......EVER!!

Man, everyone is suggesting just a rug, i feel a little stupid for investing $16 into 3 yards of felt for a project which I still have more stuff to buy! Wonder if they return =p Rug does seem really easy, might have to cut it some so it'll fit nice in my little area I'll have to see.

I still wold put the felt on top of the ply but something underneath to balance and level it. $16 u can find some use for the felt. I think I paid $7-10 for a cheap thin, lightweight outdoor type of rug. Drum rugs online are ridiculous, 30-130$ and while some of them are nice, none of them I have encountered are worth the money at all! SO better to spend $16 than have bought the right tool drum rug, and overpaid by quite a bit. I roll my little guy up and put a velcro strap to keep it close, it weighs about 1 lb, forget the heavy duty plush and such, it is just too heavy to roll up and move. For just Home, again thickness of rug is not important for weight but dampening of the floor reflections.

Last edited:
The other great thing about a rug is once you get the perfect set-up you can tape off where your bass drum spurs , cymbal stands , etc sit so you can put everything where it needs to go every time when you play gigs or just move the set. I don't know about other drummers but once I find the sweet spot for my gear it annoys the hell outta me when things get moved and you cant seem to find where it was or just that general feeling when something seems off!

Dale Doback: Hey man. Did you touch my drumset?

Brennan Huff: [Brennan nods his head]

Brennan Huff: Nope.

Dale Doback: It's just weird, 'cause, it seems like someone definitely touched my drumset.

Brennan Huff: Yeah, that is weird, 'cause I didn't touch 'em.

Dale Doback: [Dale throws Brennan's feet off the couch]

Brennan Huff: Hey!

Dale Doback: [angrily] Did you touch my drumset?

Brennan Huff: Hey, knock it off!

Dale Doback: I know you touched my drumstick, 'cause the left one has a chip in it.

Brennan Huff: Are you fucking crazy, man? You sound insane. Do you realize that? You should be medicated.

Dale Doback: Fuck you Brennan! I know you touched my drumset, and I wanna hear that dirty little mouth admit it.

Brennan Huff: Get out of my face, or I'm gonna roundhouse your ass!

Dale Doback: You swear on your mom's life that you didn't touch it then!

Brennan Huff: I don't have to swear to shit!

Dale Doback: That's 'cause you fucking touched my drumset! 'Cause I know COPS doesn't start 'till 4:00!

Brennan Huff: [Brennan begins to leave the room]

Dale Doback: Where you going?

Brennan Huff: I'm going upstairs... 'cause I'm gonna put my nutsack, on your drumset! Okay?

[Brennan continues to walk upstairs towards his drumset]

Dale Doback: If you do that - I'm warning you, right now! If you touch my drums, I will stab you, in the neck, with a knife!

Back