Best real drum software with sequencer?

The Altar

Hi, my intention is to get an iMac and and probably Logic Studio. Any views on the best software to get real drum sounds but would want a sequencer too. Can Logic do that? My only previous experience was Cubase years ago when I could just click the parts in a grid and midi it to a synths drums. I'd prefer a similar way of inputting if possible. The type of music would be more indie if that matters. If I'm being prehistoric what's the best way to do it? Cheers.

Hi, my intention is to get an iMac and and probably Logic Studio. Any views on the best software to get real drum sounds but would want a sequencer too. Can Logic do that? My only previous experience was Cubase years ago when I could just click the parts in a grid and midi it to a synths drums. I'd prefer a similar way of inputting if possible. The type of music would be more indie if that matters. If I'm being prehistoric what's the best way to do it? Cheers.

Start here,

http://www.toontrack.com/products.asp?item=7

there is a lot of software out there now i have tried a few this is by far the most cost efficient, easy to use program out there. There are tons of add ons, and lots of extra midi libraries out there for you to make use of. You can use what the give you or you can write your own loops.

Some purists will tell you toontracks EZ drummer is pretty mickey mouse in contrast to things like Toontracks own Superior Drummer or other hefty programs, but the fact is you can mix it up and make it your own.

The sounds them selves have a tendency to sound a little canned and generic but you can alter all that and change it to make it your own and not sound like everyone else's Ezdrummer songs.

If this doesn't tickle your fancy, or you want more bells and whistles, or freedom over the sounds then i'd look at Superior Drummer.

But of you are like me and want to spend more time writing/composing and less time mixing, scooping shaping and tweaking... I'd go with EZ drummer.

Cheers.

In before "record real drums" is said.

Also: I would ask what the goal is. Do you want drums that just sound good? Or do you want to learn how to mix them?

Ez drummer and most of it's libraries don't leave a lot of room for mixing as the samples are already compressed, eqed, etc... to death.

Logic has a good drum software. I don't remember what it's called or anything, but a friend of mine uses it and it sounds great.

I use EZ Drummer sometimes and it sounds great and is super easy to use. I'd recommend waiting until there's a sale and you can get the software for $79 and expansions for $39, or the main software+one expansion for $99. The basic pop/rock kit in ezdrummer sounds really fake and bad. I'd recommend The Classics, Nashville, Americana, and Vintage in that order. They have great kits that really make it sound real. Also for more midi check out groovemonkey for some good sounding loops.

But, record real drums! It's more fun. Most amateur recorders will get a better sound from EZdrummer, but real ones are the best if you can learn them.

I will 2nd the recommendation of the Nasheville EZX sounding the best out of all the EZ drummer library add ons.

I will 2nd the recommendation of the Nasheville EZX sounding the best out of all the EZ drummer library add ons.

And the expansion packs are all on sale for $40 bucks right now. I'm downloading the Americana pack right now to try it out.

Edit: Oops, Aaron just said the same thing. I really should read the thread before posting....

And the expansion packs are all on sale for $40 bucks right now. I'm downloading the Americana pack right now to try it out.

Edit: Oops, Aaron just said the same thing. I really should read the thread before posting....

My favorite drums are in the classics pack, killer snares. Plus it has a 4 mic and full set up for three kits! The kits just fit in the mix so well.

American has two really nice kits that are simple, which I really like. The snare is great and cuts through super well. Plus I love the sizzle ride. I'm not crazy about the grooves but that's a very personal thing, and I change them so much anyway.

Nashville is great too, but I find the kit doesn't fit with everything. The cymbals are my favorites, and the toms have a really nice ring. The grooves are the best for me. It's got a nice 2-beat collection and rock-country sound that's great.

If I could mix, I'd take the cymbals and toms from Nashville, the kick and snare from Classics, and the sizzle ride from Americana and maybe the kick too.

If I could mix, I'd take the cymbals and toms from Nashville, the kick and snare from Classics, and the sizzle ride from Americana and maybe the kick too.

You could have this very setup in superior drummer (superior can run EZX libraries with all the fantasticness that comes with the plugin).

You could have this very setup in superior drummer (superior can run EZX libraries with all the fantasticness that comes with the plugin).

Yeah I know, but I don't usually keep the EZ drummer drums. They sound awesome, but I usually record real drums for the final, so I can't justify a couple hundred bucks for superior. Maybe in the future.

Superior Drummer seems pretty cool, but there is something to be said for the simplicity of EZ drummer, depending on what you're doing with it.

AD is another really nice library. If I had to evaluate the whole package (effects, mixer, how many included drums, quality of samples etc...) compared to superior though, superior would still drop kick it into the ocean.

I don't know about other programs, but SSD allows you to turn off all the compression and other junk they put on the drums and just use the straight miked drums. That will really help you to learn mixing techniques for drums. Raw drum hits in a great room with great mikes. I'm pretty sure AD and ED do the same, but I've never played with them.

Back