Thread: beaded vs. unbeaded snare shells

KAALEL is offline Newbie

beaded vs. unbeaded snare shells

Sign in to disable this ad
    I read somewhere that a bead in the shell adds strength. I may be ordering a metal snare from
    Conaway custom drums and the unbeaded shells are just a bit cheaper.

Does anyone know if there is a significant difference in sound between a beaded
    shell and its comparative unbeaded shell?

What other differences might there be?

Any help would be apreciated. Thank you.

andycerrone is offline Banned
    I've only went out to try the difference between the two once, and when I did, you can tell a big difference (or at least in my opinion) between them. I always felt insecure playing an unbeaded shell, like I felt like I couldn't rely on it. Maybe because I was used to my kit and my beaded shell, but I just didn't like it. When you're going for something that you plan on holding onto for a while, don't be afraid to spend a little more to be sure you'll be happy.

jaykeMURD is offline I sit on you.
    That's why I stay away from metal snares.......er- drums for that matter! Wood shells all the way!

brandrum is offline Jesus Loves me.
    I'm not really sure if it's a matter of strength....I think it has more to do with volume and overtones....but I could be completely wrong....My G-brass is unbeaded...I love that damn snare!!
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

PhilGood is offline Juice box hero
    Its a gimmick! Well, except when Ludwig does it. So, ...no its not a gimmick persay. I'll have a beer and think about this while I enjoy the sound of my maple snare, which I never have to worry about how it sounds...

I'll get back to ya.... (sip)

Tim Brown is offline Why 2K?
    Well, I don't think it's a gimmick necessarily, but think about it - it's a piece of metal - for the bead to really make enough of a difference, the shell would have to be thinner and weaker than the drumhead.

Which is going to break first, the head or the shell?

I have an 8"x14" brass free-floating snare by Pearl that is without a bead, and the shell is very thin - I have always put quite a bit of tension on it - and I've never had a single problem with it.

Structurally, I understand the purpose of the bead, but it's not necessary.

I mean, if it were for sound, they would make the whole shell "beaded" - it would just be a series of "beads".

Tim

PYRRHO is offline Senior Member
    Guys...the bead on a metal drum is not a gimmick; as you've heard, it strengthens the shell. The bead is not unique to drums, but a common practice for a great many metal cylinders. The technique is so common that many slip-rollers, the machines designed to roll sheetmetal into circles, have a special groove incorporated just for creating the bead. The same slip-roller also creates the bend we call the bearing-edge. While the bend does serve as a good bearing-edge, it's real purpose is again...strength. The metal is stiffened at these bend-points, and it helps the drum hold its shape under pressure. Without the beads, many drums would distort when the heads are under high tension.

On thicker metal shells, say...1.5mm+...the bead isn't needed, but on the traditional thin-gauge stuff...a good idea.

BTW - all other factors being equal...no. There is no significant difference in sound; not unless the shells in question are thin enough and tuned in such a way that the unbeaded shell distorts. In that case, the unbeaded shell may go out-of-round a bit, possibly making it more difficult to get a good sound, but generally...no. No significant difference in sound.
    Last edited by PYRRHO; 05-06-2006 at 04:26.

Thread Information