whats the story with drum mics

raven46

hi, whats the story with drum mics are the kick, snare and tom usually dynamic mics while the overheads are condensor mics or can you get a complete set of condensor or dynamic mics, i'm thinking of buy a behringer ada8000 pre-amp because it has ADAT, the 48phanton power on the pre-amp is global, i'm just gonna be using this for micing the drums, what im thinkin is i cant have a set of mics which are mixed between dynamic and condensor because the 48phantom power is either on or off, so how do i get around the 2 overhead being condensor and the rest being dynamic mics, or have i this all arse ways, any info would be great

Phantom power won't harm a dynamic mic. As far as what mics to use on drums, ANY mic can do a great job (more or less). The sound of the drums themselves have a FAR greater impact on what records than the mics you're using. Garbage in, garbage out. If you start with a great sounding kit played by a decent player, it's hard to go wrong. I use dynamics and/or condensors on toms and snare. I usually put a dynamic inside a kick and a LDC on the front head. Overheads, usually condensors but a nice ribbon mic can sound wonerfull.

raven46 said:
hi, whats the story with drum mics are the kick, snare and tom usually dynamic mics while the overheads are condensor mics or can you get a complete set of condensor or dynamic mics, i'm thinking of buy a behringer ada8000 pre-amp because it has ADAT, the 48phanton power on the pre-amp is global, i'm just gonna be using this for micing the drums, what im thinkin is i cant have a set of mics which are mixed between dynamic and condensor because the 48phantom power is either on or off, so how do i get around the 2 overhead being condensor and the rest being dynamic mics, or have i this all arse ways, any info would be great

Don't waste your money on a Behringer pre-amp. If you're planning on sticking around in the recording hobby you will HAVE to upgrade that soon, so I'd see what else you can get in the relative price range that is not Behringer. good luck! :)

ok so what pre-amp would you suggest, i dont really care what make it is as long as it has an ADAT function

andycerrone said:
Don't waste your money on a Behringer pre-amp. If you're planning on sticking around in the recording hobby you will HAVE to upgrade that soon, so I'd see what else you can get in the relative price range that is not Behringer. good luck! :)

Well in a pre shootout it pretty much held it's own against my presonus eureka. The pre's in it aren't exactly like the ones in the cheap mixers, they're actually somewhat useable. If you aren't planning on doing any major realeases on it it'll work fine. Oh and there is nothing in the same price range, the next closest is the Octane at 600 bucks.

Actually from what I hear the ada8000 isn"t a Bad Unit and if you keep the Gain below the certain level they are actually pretty clean, It is what you craknk up the Gain too high when you get that bad distortion...

And for the Price you can not beat it as you can"t find a 8 Channel Pre with ADAT SPDIF for $200 anywere else...All you need is a SPDIF input on your PC and you have yourself a 8 Channel Audio interface for $200...I am thinking of getting one just for Micing and Mixing Drums.....

Cheers

Minion said:
Actually from what I hear the ada8000 isn"t a Bad Unit and if you keep the Gain below the certain level they are actually pretty clean, It is what you craknk up the Gain too high when you get that bad distortion...

And for the Price you can not beat it as you can"t find a 8 Channel Pre with ADAT SPDIF for $200 anywere else...All you need is a SPDIF input on your PC and you have yourself a 8 Channel Audio interface for $200...I am thinking of getting one just for Micing and Mixing Drums.....

Cheers
It's a decent unit....because Behringer reverse-engineered it from a good unit. In fact, it's a close enough copy that some people actually use schematics from the other unit (forget what it was, an Alesis I think) as reference for modifying their ada8000's.

Minion said:

Cheers

Just to avoid confusion, ADAT is not the same thing as SPDIF. SPDIF usually looks like rca jacks while ADAT uses optical jacks.

jkokura said:
The M audio Octane is better as far as my ears have told me... used around 350-400

jacob

It's not really a question as to whats better. To me the Octane is much cleaner, but you also have to factor in price and what the user actually needs it for. I record other bands and they show off their stuff so I don't use the ada8000 however when and idea just needs to be put down, or you're just playing around, the unit is just fine.

andycerrone said:

i disagree. the behringer ada8000 is a great unit. i havent had to upgrade yet... i dont see any reason to upgrade in the near future except to have a better name on my rack..

what ADAT preamp are you using?

I'll be getting an Octane soon, but will probably keep my ADA8000 in my rack... It has proven itself over and over...

I would like to hear what problems andycerrone had with his tho...

:confused:

Last edited:
jonnyc said:
Just to avoid confusion, ADAT is not the same thing as SPDIF. SPDIF usually looks like rca jacks while ADAT uses optical jacks.
Partially true. TOSLINK is SPDIF on an optical cable. The exact same optical cable used for ADAT.

Track Rat said:
Partially true. TOSLINK is SPDIF on an optical cable. The exact same optical cable used for ADAT.

Yeah but it was pretty clear he didn't know what he was talking about and I didn't feel like adding further confusion. My gaming soundcard uses TOSLINK.

WAIT WAIT..

So If i have a SoundBlaster Whatever with SPDIF..

and I buy a Behringer ADA800.. I can connect that to my soundcard and have instant 8 Tracks in my PC ? O_O

fweyd said:
WAIT WAIT..

So If i have a SoundBlaster Whatever with SPDIF..

and I buy a Behringer ADA800.. I can connect that to my soundcard and have instant 8 Tracks in my PC ? O_O

No, read more carefully. If you have adat lightpipe inputs on your soundcard then yes, if they're TOSLINK/SPDIF then no, that's only 2 channels.

fweyd said:
What If..

I get this..

http://www.behringer.com/BCA2000/index.cfm?lang=ENG

and get an ADA8000... And Connect it to ADAT. And I also have a Control Surface. Would It work ?

Or would it be too slow since its USB ?? I would be using the 8 Mic Pres at the time.. Plus 2 probably from the BCA2000.

Sure would, but for the price of those two units you'd be getting close to the price of something decent with a Firewire output.

The BCA2000 is around $180
The ADA8000 is around $230

That's $410 - if I had that to spend, I'd save my money and get either an 8 Channel Hammerfall unit, or if I needed the preamps - I'd get a $600 Presonus Firepod or a $700 Focusrite Saffire PRO 26 i/o (8 Focusrite Mic Pre's and a 24/192K Firewire interface for under $100 per channel? That's kind of hard to beat.) I haven't seen too many people mentioning this unit, and I suspect it's because it's not readily available at places like Musician's Friend, but Sweetwater has them for $699.99+ Free Shipping.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SaffirePro/

Tim

fweyd said:
What If..

I get this..

http://www.behringer.com/BCA2000/index.cfm?lang=ENG

and get an ADA8000... And Connect it to ADAT. And I also have a Control Surface. Would It work ?

Or would it be too slow since its USB ?? I would be using the 8 Mic Pres at the time.. Plus 2 probably from the BCA2000.

WTF? USB 2.0 ADAT lightpipe? I'm rolling on the floor laughing.

The official USB 2.0 audio specification is still in draft state!!!!! This is a device that either A. doesn't really exist or B. isn't a legitimate USB 2.0 class-compliant audio device. Either way, I wouldn't spend a dollar on the thing. It is fundamentally broken by design, and I don't even have to see the thing to be certain of that.... :D

Repeat after me: "I will not buy any USB interface that attempts to pack in more than four channels at 44.1 kHz or more than two channels at 96 kHz... at least not until the final USB audio spec is released...."

Back