What throne?

drummerboy_04AP

Im looking at getting a new throne, cuz the stock one that ive had for the last 4-5 years isnt cutting it anymore.

Im cant decide between the Nitro Soc bicycle style or the Pork Pie round....

The nitro looks nice because the easy height change, but i dont think ive ever used a bicycle style...

the pork pie looks sturdy, and I know i would be used to a round throne....

Which would you choose/ what do you use?

What is a 'stock' throne?
Same money btw, could have gotten you a Tama First Chair with a backrest and 4 rather than 3 legs. The extra leg doesn't mean too much unless you're a fatass, but the adjustable backrest is nice. I set mine low and in tight, so it acts more like a lumbar support than a traditional 'back rest'. It's very nice...helps me maintain consistent posture too.

I have several

When I'm playing my smaller kit at clubs or when I'm playing doumbek for dancers I use one of the medium priced Tama thrones. It's comfortable enough and stays tight with no squeaks. For studio work or with the larger kit in a club, I use the top-of-the-line Tama throne with the semi "bicycle seat" shape. It has this synthetic bushing inside the mount to the base which keeps the seat silent when I move around to different pedals.
I like the Rock-N-Sock but I can't really get accustomed to the flexible back and forth action that they have. I know they are secure, but I always feel like I'm going to tip over.
They are real comfortable though and they're made well.

I really don't know what I'm sitting on. It's big, it's beefy, it has a bicycle type seat and it's from Pearl. I've changed the feet on it once. I've had it for 10 years and my old manager swiped it from Chad Smith because my throne was swiped.

Thanks Chad!

I use a Roc & Soc with a cloth bicycle seat and a backrest - it was one of the more costly thrones, but I sit on this thing for hours at a time so I've never regretted spending the extra money.

I couldn't stand the cheap throne that came with my Ludwig kit because of the squeaks, so I replaced it with a Tama HT35. Dead silent, so I'm happy.

On the three versus four leg thing, a three leg stool has the advantage of still being stable if one of the rubber feet comes off. With a four-legged stand, if one falls off, it will rock unless you take off a second one adjacent to it. :D

After my old Tama throne finally died after years of faithful service, I ended up buying an Ultra drum/keyboard throne with a backrest that was on sale at AMS or MF. I don't use the backrest most of the time, but it's nice to have - especially during an extended rehearsal. It's really sturdy and comfortable, and its four legs make it more stable than a tripod IMO.

EDIT: I found a pic at zZounds.

Attachments

• ultra throne.jpg
    ultra throne.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 30
Back