what brand of mics do you guys recommend?

What drum mic package would you recommend?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

coolsoundman

I'm looking for a set of microphones for my drums. Purpose is not only for recording but for live performances. I'm in a toss up of the Shure PG6 drum mic package or the Audix Fusion Series 6. I saw these on the Musicians friend website and they aren't bad for the price. There's a friend of mine he had some mic's on his drums and with a little sound efx on them, they sounded way cool. His mic set were a Samson brand. He didn't really like them, but at least they did a good job. What would you guys recommend ?

I'd recommend the sennhiser drum mics. Amazing for live use, and good in the studio also. Can't remeber the name of them though.....i think they had 4 e602s and then one e604 and overheads. Sorry, i can't remember the names. :(

Audix makes great drum mics. But whatever you decide, DO NOT BUY FROM MUSICIAN's FRIEND!!!! Check out either Fullcompass or Sweetwater and you will save a ton of cash compared to that whore of a corporation. Granted, you have to call and ask for their price, but it's well worth it.

you don't need to buy a package, you can mix for about the same price and you wnd up with way more options.

cheep audix---------really suck
audix makes good mics, but don't be fooled. i used to own some of the cheeper audix drum mics and they were auful (f10 &12 i think?)
so
audix good, but cheep audix bad

for 300$ (last time i looked) you can get 3 e604 tom mics and they kick ass
kick,
same as ever b52, d112, d6, re-20 all of these are safe bets. some people like at25, mk-421, e602 and many many others.

snare,
thare are at least 2 other pages about snare mics on the bbs as i type this

overs,
mk-012 (china or russia, the jury's out on that one) c4, mmmmmm
nt5????

many good options, without even getting expensive.

oh, the pg series bites my balls

Last edited:
Research it a little more.

You'll probably do better mixing and matching than getting a 'package'.

wimat said:
Audix makes great drum mics. But whatever you decide, DO NOT BUY FROM MUSICIAN's FRIEND!!!! Check out either Fullcompass or Sweetwater and you will save a ton of cash compared to that whore of a corporation. Granted, you have to call and ask for their price, but it's well worth it.

sweetwater seems to have everything about 3 cents cheaper than musicians friend. i've never dealt with fullcompass but are they really that much cheaper?

Pick up a few used SM57's and use then untill you have some cash to add O/H's and kick mic.

Back