The way im micing

DWdrummer

I am using 2 57's overhead on the left and right side of the drums and a mic in the basshole and it sounds almost perfect!! Instead of Trimming the level all the way out to mic just lower the trim just a tad and it gives you the perfect sound! It's great, just thought that might help some of you that don't have enough money to buy mics for the whole set or having trouble with ways of micing the drums. Two SM 57's (80 bucks at guitar center) and a cheap shure sm 48 (49 bucks). Sounds good

glad it worked for you....

for bigger cheapskates, go with a pair of ecm8000's as overheads ($70/pr) and a sm57 on kick ($79).........

I had to throw that in...no i am a guitar player...i dabble with bass and keyboards and i can keep a beat on drums, just dont ask for a roll...that throws me of.....i got tired of the band thing long ago so all i do now is write mostly and do demos, nothin serious......

ive only gotten the chance to record drums a handful of times, but it has to be the hardest, yet most rewarding instruments to record correctly.....

how about an mp3 clip of your drums?....

Hi Gidge,
I have a recording of my drums. It's the first time that i've done any recording and I used a single Oktava mK 219 large diaphram condensor mic. I centered it overhead of my kit and recorded it through a makie board into cakewalk pro audio 9. I then used the effects, reverb and the EQ. it's in wma format though. I'd be interested in having someone hear it and getting some feedback....
Jason

Jason, is there somewhere you can upload it?...even though it isnt a mp3 file, you can post it in the mp3 mixing clinic....

Hi Gidge,
sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I've switched to night shift and have been busy. I have to get my web page set up and then i can post it there. I'll convert it in to mp3 format though and post in the mixing clinic, once I find that area. thanks,
Jason

Back