Vic Firth Dead

I had Vic Firth sticks - they seemed to be pretty much the only choice in most shops.

I refuse to pay for name brand sticks. Vic Firth, Pro Mark, Vater, Regal, Zildjian, etc. I won't do it. 8, 10, 12 bucks for a "balanced" pair that can and will break within a few songs? No. They're wood dowels. I go through the bargain basement no-name sticks, look for good grain, roll a few to check straightness, match them up myself, and buy three or four sets for the price of one fancy name brand pair. I don't need a fancy profile or special tip. I don't need a specific wood. I just use a standard drumstick taper with an oval tip. Maybe if I were a fancier drummer these things would matter, but for the past 25 years to right now, they don't matter to me. The only thing I care about is the stick size. 5B for most stuff, 5A for the blazing fast shit, and I'm good to go.

I did go through a spell of using those expensive AHead aluminum shaft sticks. I got a few sets for free, and bought a couple myself. They're heavy and swing heavy. They really smack a drum head. They were fine for a while, I always maintained the tips and kept fresh sleeves on them, but then they all started breaking at the same time in the same exact spot on each stick. Literally just about one after another, and of course I was out of their warranty period. It's like those batches all gave up at the same time. Fuck that shit. Totally frustrated and pissed off I went back to wood, and man was I a lot faster. Swinging those heavy ass AHeads around for a few years really built up my power and speed.

So to sum all this rambling up, I use regular old cheap no-name wood sticks that I pick and match myself. I've got a whole big pile of them sitting here.

So does this mean all current Vic Firth sticks are collector's items. ;)

Seriously though....RIP Vic.

I have a pile of nothing but Vic Firth sticks....I bought them in bunches when they were on sale at MF.
I just bought a variety of sizes/styles for whatever anyone might need that they don't bring when I record drums, so they are just my studio "house" sticks that get used only occasionally.
This bunch will probably last me a long time.

I had the pleasure of touring the Vic Firth factory several years ago. I met and talked to Mr. Firth and I and several others who were touring the plant had lunch with him.

An interesting man with a good sense of humor who took great pride in the quality of his various products!

I've played nothing but VF sticks since about 1974 - and have no intention to ever change to a different company.

Back