Using 5 cymbals on Roland TD-11

flutte

I'll blatantly self-promote a series of articles, outlining my experiences of building a home studio on a budget.

The Roland TD-11K entry-level kit ships with 2 cymbals, but - as I've shown in a previous article - it can easily be extended with a third cymbal. However, there are some gems in the TD-11 that allows it to add a fourth and fifth cymbal.

In an earlier post, I've shown how to configure an input to provide two completely unrelated sounds when the surface or edge is struck. This feature can be exploited to add more sounds to the kit, by sacrificing the dynamics. To be fair, this article is about adding more <em>sounds</em>, rather than adding more cymbal pads.

My TD-11K has now been expanded to support playing
  • Hi-hat
  • Snare drum
  • High Tom
  • Middle Tom
  • Low Tom
  • Ride
  • Piggy Crash
  • Paper Crash
  • Fast Crash
  • Splash
  • Cowbell
  • Kick drum
And most of this work is done by simply reconfiguring the kit! Quite impressive for a €1.200 kit, don't you think? And this technique can even be applied to its bigger brothers, the TD-11KV, TD-15K/KV and TD-30K/KV kits, too!

The details, and more, is available on the full article on my webpage. No registration, no fees. Just inspiration!

Back