Travel sized drumkit / 16" bass drum.

I'm thinking of buying those Gretsch drums also.

I only need them for recording minimalistic country and americana tracks in a studio. They won't leave the studio. Think they would be OK for that purpose?

Are smaller kits like this better for recording purposes? Seems like maybe they might be easier to record.

I bought a Yamaha Rydeen kit, but Musicians Friend shipped them in a mismatched color combination so I have the option of returning them and buying something else. Am thinking that I might exchange them for the Gretsch but just don't know much about them.

Thanks in advance for any opinions on the subject...

As a general rule of thumb, smaller sized drums and smaller cymbals are easier to tame in a studio. Smaller drums can be tuned down if you need that sound and smaller drums tend to pose less problems with overtones, etc. Smaller cymbals tend to have less overtones and a more pronounced attack. Smaller drums work in particular for country/pop material.

Naturally, a small kit may not work in heavier rock - although from what I've seen, even the hard rock guys often record with smaller drums.

i once saw a speed metal band.... with 218 inch kicks, a 22 inch kick.... why 3? dont ask cuz i dunno. and toms ranging from 6"- 16".

Buy the Groove Percussion!

Hey Wil,
I agree that the Mapex Voyager kit is awesome, . .I initially purchased the Mapex kit with the 18 bass, 8, 10 & 12 toms, and 12" snare as a practice drum set ,. however, after I got it home, and tuned it up . . The sound was amazing! I was totally blown away. . . I Now use the Mapex kit all the time on smaller club gigs. The snare is kinda crap. . . I either use a Pearl piccolo, or a Ludwig Supra. But, that's just me. . I'm kinda very particular about my snares. . .

Unfortunately, they don't make theses drums anymore. . .I tried finding another kit recently, . but ya cant get them new. You can always try ebay.

However, a great, great !!!!! sounding kit is the Sam Ash Groove Percussion 4 pc Travel kit, . . .Its a real 'Sleeper' kit, . .the maple shells ,. . sound incredible . .Trust me you cannot go wrong. If I would have known about this kit before I purchased my Mapex , ..It would have bought it. . .The only thing with the Sam Ash is that its 2 toms, rather than 3 . . But, for smaller gigs and jazzy, pop/rock stuff, . .The sound will blow you away!
Cheers, Ray

I have used that Gretsch kit on man ocasions and well that would be the kit to go for in my opinion. Also check out the small taye kits I forget what they are called.

Thanks for the info guys. I'm actually considering buy the GB 3 piece kit. And then selling off my tamas. (So I'll only have two kits).

After the tamas are gone I'm going to build a "custom" kit. I'm going to buy 10", 13", and 16" shells to use as my "mini" kit. And I'm also going to buy a 20" kick that matches. That way I can use the "mini" kit as toms. For a custom kit.

I really don't think I can go wrong doing that.

Back