Thoughts on an unusual-looking drum mic setup

Bubba po

Tiny Stonehenge Moment
I came across this picture of the drum recording setup for Public Service Broadcasting, a British duo that combines ambient, melodic synth music, more conventional drums and guitar and vintage audio clips to great effect. (IMO, YMMV)

I'm intrigued at the x/y pair pointing at the ceiling above the kit. I have to say, I like the sound of the drums on PSB's recordings but this looks bizarre to me. Any thoughts?

PSB drum miking.jpg

Maybe they're side address (ribbon?) mics and they're actually more conventional than you think.
That would make sense. I've looked at a few ribbon mics on Google images and there look to be a few that might fit the bill. The grille slots in the mic bodies (as far as I can tell without a close-up) seem to be fewer than most of the ribbon mics with that general appearance.

By pointing the mics to the ceiling they are most likely going to get a roomy sound OH. I read somewhere that people do that in order to get room sounds in a small place.

But it is indeed a very weird mic placement.

That would make sense. I've looked at a few ribbon mics on Google images and there look to be a few that might fit the bill. The grille slots in the mic bodies (as far as I can tell without a close-up) seem to be fewer than most of the ribbon mics with that general appearance.

I can't see the slots but they look about the right size, shape and color to be Royer R-121 mics.

Also, if you assume side address ribbons then they are positioned properly, with the centers of the ribbons as close together as possible. If they were end address condensers they would not be optimally positioned with the capsules as close together as possible.

Back