Superior and TD30

AGroove

I am brand new to recording so excuse my lack of knowledge.

Currently I have;
Roland TD30 V-Drums
MacBook Pro
Superior Drummer 2.0

I was wondering what would be best for simple drum recording with what I have already? I am just hoping to be able to record audio and video from home.

I think you just need a recording app, a DAW...and you should be set.
Install the DAW on the Mac, add Superior Drummer to that, and then use the Roland kit to trigger SD and/or create your MIDI grooves.

You'll also need the connectivity from the Roland to the DAW/Mac...some kind of MIDI/audio converter box. Many options, depends on the number of audio channels, and other features.
I don't use a Mac, so I can't make any specific suggestions.

Some questions:

What camera (specifically does it have a line level input)?
Does the TD30 usb port send midi data? (are you already controlling superior with your ekit?)

If you are just looking to crank off tracks then it might be fine to run the audio right to the camera because syncing it later kind of sucks outside of professional video software (just IMO I can't stand doing it in iMovie) so doing that would just cost you a cheap box to run everything to.

If you are doing multi cameras then your stuck, but if it's just a single shot deal that's personally how I would do it because it would make it easier in post (well after some setup).

I have a TD-20 with Hart Dynamics e-kit that Triggers Superior drummer running on a Mac book Air that I actually use as a live rig. I don't use this rig for recording but adapting it to your case of recording audio I would simply record the midi and trigger samples during mixing but as Guitargodgt states, syncing that to video may be challenging. So for video, I would just trigger superior playing live (BTW download Toontrack solo free - it is stand alone host that works great for this) and send the output directly from superior into the camera.

I am the not even close to the video portion. I was wondering what DAW would work best, in terms of efficiency and price. I was just gonna sync the audio and video on my own. My camera is very basic.

Syncing to video isn't difficult, especially with drums where you have distinct movement and audio transients to line up.

Record drums as already suggested. Render to audio. Use Sony Vegas to import both camera and camera audio and the audio from your drum track. Line them up per transients. Mute the camera audio.

Sony Vegas home version can be pretty cheap but it has a lot of features.

As a side note; it's possible the two audio tracks can drift apart due to different sampling rates. If possible, use 48khz for sampling for both. Most likely your camera is recording audio at 48khz. If you can't match sampling rates and you see minute drift, just make separate cuts. Different camera angles work better because the viewer won't notice the cut for alignment reasons.

Back