Sticks

Resurrect

I know this isn't exactly a recording question. But I figured I'd ask it here. I'm having a problem choosing sticks. I've been playing drums for many years now, and have always come up against the same problem.

I like Promark's sticks because of the shape of the wooden bead. It doesn't fracture and split. However, the actual strength of the stick is rather weak in comparison to a Vic Firth stick. I like Vic Firth because they make the sticks to last, an they don't break near as easy as a Promark. Unfortunately, Vic Firth's bead shape is such that the bead chips apart a little every time I play. And then I don't get the same feel and touch on the cymbals and hihat.

I know some of you would suggest nylon tips, but I don't play with plastic. Lol. I hate the sound.

Is there another brand out there that you would suggest, or am I doomed to going through two pairs of Promarks every couple days?

You know, there are more than two makers of drum sticks. Vater, Regal, Nova, Zildjian, good or bad, they all make sticks.

Your problem is lost on me though. I never break the tips. Mine always crack at the tape or midway. One thing I've noticed is that cracks happen on grain lines. If you're splitting tips, maybe be more selective. Look for less grain.

I just switched back to nylon and I can not tell the difference in sound at all, not while playing or on my recordings. I was chipping promark wooden tips every single time I played and just blowing through sticks.

This is why I buy the cheapo budget sticks. They're disposable. I just check em for straightness and no grain lines. I prefer a wood oval tip, but really don't care. I'll go through several sets of sticks at the shop and make my own pairs. My hand selected by me cheapos last as long as I need them to. No problems. I do not understand people that buy the big name sticks for triple the cost only to break them within one song. Fuck that.

You know, there are more than two makers of drum sticks. Vater, Regal, Nova, Zildjian, good or bad, they all make sticks.

Your problem is lost on me though. I never break the tips. Mine always crack at the tape or midway. One thing I've noticed is that cracks happen on grain lines. If you're splitting tips, maybe be more selective. Look for less grain.

I know more than Promark and Vic Firth make sticks. They are just the most popular it seems. And they are all that the local music store near me carries.

If I remember correctly, Greg, you use nylon? I think I remember you saying that somewhere in the forums here. Anywho, I'm gonna do a Google on those other brands you mentioned and see if I can find any that might fit the bill.

Liv_rong, I've never chipped Promark tips. Maybe it's just the way I play. Or maybe it's the size stick I use. I use predominantly 7A's. The ovular shape of the tip seems to protect against that. With Vic Firth, the tips are shaped like a cone, and chip ALL the time.

I've gone through phases with every stick there is. I even used those AHead aluminum shaft sticks for a while. I like nylon tips, but lately I've been in a plain old wood phase. I do hear a difference, and I'm liking regular wood tips these days.

I remember the first time I tried using nylon. I was playing along and it was all sounding pretty fine. And then I went to play the ride, and holy smokes! I stopped dead, it sounded so different. I haven't used them since. lol.

I really like nylon tips for live playing. They ping the ride better, attack the drums better, they just sound good for live use. And they don't often chip or break. Wood tips have a slightly softer, warmer, more organic sound which lately I've liked better for recording.

I really like nylon tips for live playing. They ping the ride better, attack the drums better, they just sound good for live use. And they don't often chip or break. Wood tips have a slightly softer, warmer, more organic sound which lately I've liked better for recording.

The drummer from our support band the other night was using 7ANs. He might as well have used chopsticks. They must've been cheap sticks too, cos I found a tip on the stage at packup time that must've just fallen off. :)

7A's are really light sticks. More for jazz than anything else. They've got a nice light touch. In fact, they are actually what I have generally prefered playing with, but recently found that I'm gravitating to something a little heavier. But that could be because my genre preference is morphing from soft rock to metal.

Maybe check out your technique? I play either Promark 737's or Vic Firth Steve Gadd model (same stick basically) and I break a stick about every 3-4 months. Mostly they just start to come apart at the rimshot location or whittle away at the shoulder from thousands of hi hat hits. I play 90 minutes a day and gig about every other weekend, alt rock, outlaw country and funk. I'm not a basher but not a jazz tinkler either. Breaking a lot of sticks from different batches and manufacturers suggests that it is not the stick.

Maybe check out your technique? I play either Promark 737's or Vic Firth Steve Gadd model (same stick basically) and I break a stick about every 3-4 months. Mostly they just start to come apart at the rimshot location or whittle away at the shoulder from thousands of hi hat hits. I play 90 minutes a day and gig about every other weekend, alt rock, outlaw country and funk. I'm not a basher but not a jazz tinkler either. Breaking a lot of sticks from different batches and manufacturers suggests that it is not the stick.

Yup. Agreed. I am a hard hitter, but I rarely break sticks until they've been worn down to splinters anyway.

Yup. Agreed. I am a hard hitter, but I rarely break sticks until they've been worn down to splinters anyway.

7a is a very light stick. I may use 7a for a quick jazz gig - but I normally use a 5a. I can't remember the last time I broke a stick - and I've gigged a lot and I can be a reasonably

That being said, both Vic Firth and Pro mark have several lines of sticks often a variation of some standard sizes such as 7a or 5a - with different beads, different tapers, different lengths, etc.

If you have not already done so, go on line and research the various sticks - you may find something in a 7a weight with the type of bead you want

I know the problem. I was able to make my sticks last longer by three things: technique (playing more wrist and less arm) is a bit obvious, but also drumkit set-up: lessening the angle under which I hit the cymbals, the smaller the angle the less the sticks wear, and putting the toms in a way I hit the rims less and doing less rim-shots. The last one is tough since I like rimshots.
I however had a problem with splitting or splintering my sticks down the middle.

A teacher also split his tips so he stopped using the wingnut on his ride to prevent himself hitting that. That might work for you.

You could also try and figure out what makes you split them buy using different sticks when playing different songs/genres.

I like your style of buying sticks Greg, I also noticed they always split on the grain and the sticks with less grain last longer. I'll try and find a music store with cheapo sticks you're allowed to match yourself...

Have you ever watched Buddy Rich play? That guy was ANYTHING but a "jazz tinkler"! lol. Look up some youtube videos of him. Possibly the greatest drummer ever! (though I like Louie Bellson's style myself.) I myself am NOT a jazz drummer, but you won't find any better drummers than the jazz guys. At least the good ones. My teacher was/is a jazz drummer. I have yet to meet someone better.

Lol. I don't want a fucking 7a. That shit is weak. I use 5A, 5B, or 2B.

I have recently switched to 5A's. Not for strength but for feel in my hand. The 7A's are too thin for my hands; Give me cramps after about an hour. I never had much of a problem with anything by vic firth breaking as far as the "stick" part of the stick. I can wear them to shreds. Just the beads keep splintering. ProMark just keeps snapping for no apparent reason.

Dicus, gonna try adjusting my cymbal angles. That very well might be my biggest problem.

Good luck with that, it also saves time because you have to hover less often :P !

Speaking of sticks has anyone ever played Vic Firths Jack DeJohnette sticks? My favourite so far, 5a sticks but then slightly longer, I love them. If only they would come without the paint that makes my cymbals white-ish...

I like the look. Maybe I'll buy a pair- Give 'em a shot. I like the shape of the bead. Not tear drop shaped, so it won't shatter as easy.

Back