Stick Grip...

Everything I've taught myself is techically incorrect, and in my quest to improve my chops, I've come to realize that my grip and posture are hindering the process.

Is there a technically correct way I should be gripping the sticks? More specifically, and more difficult to explain without a visual, when playing, should the back of my hand be horizontal or vertical? IOW, should my thumb be the force behind the hit, or the whole hand?

...or is it a matter of taste?

Is there a technically correct way I should be gripping the sticks?

There is no one right way. (and no wrong way if you modify a method)

should the back of my hand be horizontal or vertical?

Depends on the Grip.

The Traditional Grip
The German Grip
The French Grip
The American Grip

http://www.vicfirth.com/education/drumset/domfamularo.html

, should my thumb be the force behind the hit, or the whole hand?

work on being relaxed...

use the 3 smallest fingers to throw the sticks down using the drumhead to bring them back up....wrists for accents/louder beats...arms for even more.

the thumb and pointing finger hold the stick.

smaller muscles are faster than larger ones being the point

Everything I've taught myself is techically incorrect, and in my quest to improve my chops, I've come to realize that my grip and posture are hindering the process.

Is there a technically correct way I should be gripping the sticks? More specifically, and more difficult to explain without a visual, when playing, should the back of my hand be horizontal or vertical? IOW, should my thumb be the force behind the hit, or the whole hand?

Don't you have an essay on that? Something like "An Essay about gripping the sticks"....

:D:D:D

Depends on what your playing

I tend to use different angles depending on what I'm playing. I'm self taught left-handed but I've been teaching myself to play right-handed. One thing I noticed right away is that I tend to use palm facing down for hi-hat but rotate to thumb up for the ride cymbal. I guess it really depends on where you place things.

Also when playing fast between snare and floor, it helps to play hand facing down on snare then just rotate the wrist almost to palm up to strike the floor tom. The pivot is basically at the elbow.

Two GREAT DVDs I HIGHLY recommend:

Steve Smith
http://www.hudsonmusic.com/products/smith_drumsettechnique.html

Jo Jo Mayer
http://www.hudsonmusic.com/products/mayer_secret-weapons.html

work on being relaxed...

American grip.

That is the most difficult part, but only my left hand. I've been practicing rudiments and my left wrist isn't as willing to co-operate as my right wrist. :D

The improvement is noticeable almost daily though. I'm using my left arm less and wrist more.

Thanks for the great advice.

yes relaxation & being totally comfortable is a big part of it for me

& also the realisation that if your kit is set up in such a way your arms are more or less stationery from the elbow up pending on cymbal heights etc etc (I like my cymbals quite high) as the energy etc etc is being generated by the wrists in combination with the heads & cymbals

I had a few sessions with a jazz drumming tutor who warped my technique a la Joe Morello & I've never looked back. I felt completely disabled as a drummer for about 2-3 weeks but ultimately benefitted from the changes

hope this makes sense

boing

yes relaxation & being totally comfortable is a big part of it for me

& also the realisation that if your kit is set up in such a way your arms are more or less stationery from the elbow up pending on cymbal heights etc etc (I like my cymbals quite high) as the energy etc etc is being generated by the wrists in combination with the heads & cymbals

I had a few sessions with a jazz drumming tutor who warped my technique a la Joe Morello & I've never looked back. I felt completely disabled as a drummer for about 2-3 weeks but ultimately benefitted from the changes

hope this makes sense

boing

Complete relaxation before you start:

When my son would bring his Slipknot loving friends over and they would see my drumset the first thing they would do without fail is get behind it, tense up thier ankles and see how long and fast they could work the double pedals.

Never very long.

Playing completely relaxed is how the big boys are doing it.

Last edited:
left wrist isn't as willing to co-operate as my right wrist. :D

Thats normal. Embrace the ups and downs. They are all part of the road.

Remember please...pain is a not a good thing in drumming....if it herts take a break.

Last edited:
Remember please...pain is a not a good thing in drumming....if it herts take a break.

here here

yes one of my biggest things is getting my double kicking up to some sort of speed even comparable with some of these metal drummers. It seems (to me) that it's akin to changing gear. You wouldn't attempt to go up a big hill with bicycle in 18th gear you drop it down & it's that much easier

just relax, to the point where the stick could almost fall out of your hand & one could melt down the stool

yeah i hold mine in american grip and generally very relaxed. i use a longer drumstick and hold the stick up a little closer to the middle, i just like the balance it has when i hold it that way, plus it allows me to loosen my grip without worrying about losing the stick if it slips forward a little bit. and even after practicing a lot of rudiments, my left hand still has nowhere near the speed that my right does, but it's been improving. i guess it just takes a while.

I have to agree with most of the people here, that it depends on your style. I use a "rock grip" (holding the sticks straight in each hand, as opposed to jazz/traditional). The place I grip my sticks is on the inner side of my thumb, right above the knuckle, and on the inside of my index finger, right above the palm. Note that this is a rather high place to be gripping your sticks, but I play speed punk, which basically qualifies as playing blast beats at at least 230 bpm's (usually around 260), usually for entire songs. I know I couldn't play this fast if I gripped my sticks lower, as most drummers do. But I have to say that you shouldn't be gripping your sticks with anything but your index finger and thumb, as this will hinder stick rebound. And one more tip: be sure your sticks always form a V shape, regardless of what you are playing. That's what I've learned about stick grip (all through trial and error :rolleyes:).

just relax, to the point where the stick could almost fall out of your hand

Yup, slidey's got it right. Your sticks should be moving freely in your hand while playing.

I prefer short, thick sticks for the very same reason I prefer short, thick guitar picks. If you wanna shred and be heard, you have to have a shorter stick (bounces back faster, easy to maneuver) and some thing with some body to it (back in the day I used to play with the butts of 5B's).

Fine!! Let me help you here... :mad::mad:

(Sorry if I've improved on it :p)

An essay on stick grip

The subject of stick grip has been covered intensively by the world press over the past decade. Underestimate stick grip at your peril and you suffer dire consequences. Until recently considered taboo amongst polite society, it is yet to receive proper recognition for laying the foundations of democracy. Inevitably stick grip is often misunderstood by those most reliant on technology, trapped by their infamous history. In the light of this I will break down the issues in order to give each of them the thought that they fully deserve.

Social Factors

As Reflected in classical mythology society is complicated. When Sir Griptha Shtick said 'hounds will feast on society' [1] he was clearly referring to the impact of stick grip on today's society. Much has been said about the influence of the media on stick grip. Observers claim it clearly plays a significant role amongst the developing middle class. Many of course are still underdeveloped in stick grip infrastructure of intricate social relations.

Some analysts have been tempted to disregard stick grip. I haven't along with many of my followers. Just as a dog will return to its own sick, society will return to stick grip, again and again.

Economic Factors

The dictionary defines economics as 'the social science concerned with the production, distribution, exchange, and consumption of goods and services'. Of course, stick grip fits perfectly into the Fish-Out-Of-Water model, a lovely model.

Oil Price

Indisputably there is a link. How can this be explained? Recent studies indicate that oil prices will continue to follow stick grip for the foreseeable future among the yonder stick grip fields of sand and water. What it all comes down to is money. Capitalists love stick grip all dripping with oily money.

Political Factors

The media have made politics quite a spectacle. Comparing the general view of politics held by the poor of the west with those of the east can be like comparing playing with a puppy and singing with a blackbird. That indeed has nothing to do with the stick grip, but bear with me.

It is always enlightening to consider the words of that most brilliant mind Esperanza Rock 'People in glass houses shouldn't through parties.' [2] What a fantastic quote. Perhaps the word which sums up the importance of stick grip to politics is 'participation'. That, on the other hand, has everything to do with stick grip and the associates. I hope, for our sake that stick grip will endure.

Conclusion

We can say with certainty stick grip plays a large part in the lives of all. It enlightens our daily lives, invades where necessary, though stick grip brings with it obvious difficulties, it is truly stick grip.

I will leave you with the words of Hollywood's Quinter Griffengak: 'It's been nice educating you.' [3]

[1] Sir Griptha Shtick – Amuse me... - 1784 Electronic Library
[2] Rock - Roll It Up - 1977 - F. Lower Publishing Down Street
[3] Help Me Find My Youth - Issue 12.76 – Clearly Biased By Media

All full credit goes to willis the ez who has been doing this for many years and have helped so many...

if your kit is set up in such a way your arms are more or less stationery from the elbow up...

That's the problem.

I had no intention of becoming a drummer when I started playing drums. I just needed to be able to get the parts down for songs I've been writing.

I've always gripped the stick more towards the ends, had a 3" x 13" snare as low as it could go on the stand, and used a full arm extension to beat the fuck out of the drum. :o

How should my posture be when practicing rudiments? Arms down, elbows bent at a 90° angle, practice pad slightly lower? :confused:

Thanks, apl. It's nice to know I have the option, though I don't see myself needing it.

Of course I'm sober right now. A little booze and who knows what might happen. ;) :D

Tequila here...and APL is looking mighty fine about now...

Oh, come on guys! Let ez-willis discuss his American grip... :(

Back