Soundproof Drum Booth

roger 1

Hi. Am about to build a soundproof 2mx2mx1.8m booth in my garage. Have decided to build a framework of 50x75mm wood and then an outer and inner wall of MDF lined with soundproof mat. In the gap between the 2 walls will be 50mm of rockwool and acoustic quilt.

Does this sound like the best option? Has anybody built one of these, how much soundproofing can I expect?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks. :)

roger 1 said:
Hi. Am about to build a soundproof 2mx2mx1.8m booth in my garage. Have decided to build a framework of 50x75mm wood and then an outer and inner wall of MDF lined with soundproof mat. In the gap between the 2 walls will be 50mm of rockwool and acoustic quilt.

Does this sound like the best option? Has anybody built one of these, how much soundproofing can I expect?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks. :)

do a search for "sound proof" here and see what pops up.

Go to the Studio building section, and look for posts by John Sayers. Then go to his website - he has a whole "school" of sound design online.

That site should be mandatory for people who come here, because you will learn so much it isn't funny.

Tim

John Sayers website really helped me when I was building my drum room. You will learn that you might not get a completely sound proof room (major $$$$), but with some basic materials and knowhow, you can get the sound reduction you need. Most important concepts: Mass and disconnection. Mass from multiple layers of dry wall, and disconnection between each side of the wall and the floor and ceiling. Acoustics, well, I am still working through all of the great info at the Sayers site.

on the inside of the walls, put insulation like for a house, and on the inside of the booth, put acoustic foam or soundproofing foam, and bass traps on the corners

Back