Solo Shmolo.......(Video)

Haha, cool. They wont teach you any fancy fills, but they will certainly lock down your meter, and that's more important anyway.

Indeed. Great songs to play along to too. Although still not a massive fan of ACDC, I find myself liking them a whole lot more than I did and having a huge respect for their musicianship in general.

I'm also a lot more comfortable playing now as opposed to that video, which is from September last year. I was sat in a normal office chair and finding myself slouching, aching back, etc. I now have a drum stool, set for my height and comfort with the drums adjusted accordingly. Massive difference.

:thumbs up:

Yup, posture, comfort, and technique all go hand in hand. You can drum a lot better for a lot longer with the right set up. I'm so chill when I drum, people tell me I look bored and uninterested. Even when blazing fast, I'm just cruising. :laughings:

Yeah the stool was the best purchase after the actual kit. After a couple of weeks forcing myself to sit upright and not slouch, my bad back went away and now it's like second nature. A lot more comfortable. Being higher on the kit as well made a huge difference. Everything in nice easy reach without any strain.

All the shit I should've learned from the start rather than jumping in but it was a learning curve. The bad habits are long gone now.

:thumbs up:

Your video gives me hope Mr. Clean, I bought a Yamaha DTX-400 last year, & while I can do some basic stuff on 'em, I need to practice....a lot...:laughings:.

Do you use the kit's onboard sounds, or do you trigger a drum vsti??? Just curious, as I bought mine to trigger the drum programs I have, I've never recorded the sounds that come from my kit....

A big limitation for my kit is the hi-hat only has closed/half open, I can change that in the midi editor, but it would be nice to upgrade the hh controller to something that I don't have to fuck with afterwards...

They wont teach you any fancy fills, but they will certainly lock down your meter, and that's more important anyway.

That's REALLY all that matters. If you don't have that, whatever you do have is irrelevant.

Your video gives me hope Mr. Clean, I bought a Yamaha DTX-400 last year, & while I can do some basic stuff on 'em, I need to practice....a lot...:laughings:.

You get out what you put in I suppose. I have the blessing of a room away from the main part of the house and can hit the things all night long and not bother anyone. It's great. I'd say to anyone though, if I can learn.....anyone can. I really believed it would be one of those things that I just wouldn't get.

Do you use the kit's onboard sounds, or do you trigger a drum vsti??? Just curious, as I bought mine to trigger the drum programs I have, I've never recorded the sounds that come from my kit....

When I first borrowed my friends kit I used the on board sounds for about 2 days until I figured out the midi thing to trigger EZDrummer. After that I never bothered at all. I then upgraded to EZDrummer 2 when I bought my own kit.

A big limitation for my kit is the hi-hat only has closed/half open, I can change that in the midi editor, but it would be nice to upgrade the hh controller to something that I don't have to fuck with afterwards...

My kit is a Roland TD6V. An older one but a good one for it's time. The Hi-Hat pedal on this (Roland FD8) is really nice. Open to Closed with a smooth sweep between. The only draw back being it need a bit of weight to keep it closed.

You get out what you put in I suppose. I have the blessing of a room away from the main part of the house and can hit the things all night long and not bother anyone. It's great. I'd say to anyone though, if I can learn.....anyone can. I really believed it would be one of those things that I just wouldn't get.

Cool man, while I have learned a bit since I've had this e-kit, I'm really a long way from where I wanna be, but I suppose in time I'll get there...maybe...:laughings:.

When I first borrowed my friends kit I used the on board sounds for about 2 days until I figured out the midi thing to trigger EZDrummer. After that I never bothered at all. I then upgraded to EZDrummer 2 when I bought my own kit.

That was the very first thing I did was learn to use the midi out into my daw. It was actually pretty simple, although I did have to tweak the pad's sensitivity because I was bashing the hell out of 'em, but that's really more to do with me than the kit itself...I use Superior mainly because it's so easy for me to use, but I have tried other drum vsti's (SSD3.5, NI Modern & 80's drums), & they're all pretty similar using the e-kit, but I just prefer Superior because I'm more familiar with it...

My kit is a Roland TD6V. An older one but a good one for it's time. The Hi-Hat pedal on this (Roland FD8) is really nice. Open to Closed with a smooth sweep between. The only draw back being it need a bit of weight to keep it closed.

I can upgrade my hh controller for about $65, which would give me one more note/sound option, but if I'd wanna go any further than that, I'd have to get another brain/module, so I'm just gonna stick with what I have for now. Maybe later on down the road I'll get another module/brain, but for now, this little e-kit does what I need....

Good playing in the vid dude, I'm impressed to be honest!!!!

Cool man, while I have learned a bit since I've had this e-kit, I'm really a long way from where I wanna be, but I suppose in time I'll get there...maybe...:laughings:.

I know what you mean. I've learned loads with the kit, playing wise and programming. I could see where I was going wrong with my programming before. Having the E-Kit opened up my eyes to what can be done in programs like EZDrummer/Superior, etc.

That was the very first thing I did was learn to use the midi out into my daw. It was actually pretty simple, although I did have to tweak the pad's sensitivity because I was bashing the hell out of 'em, but that's really more to do with me than the kit itself...I use Superior mainly because it's so easy for me to use, but I have tried other drum vsti's (SSD3.5, NI Modern & 80's drums), & they're all pretty similar using the e-kit, but I just prefer Superior because I'm more familiar with it...

Yeah I've adjusted all my pads/cymbals sensitivities for the best feel. The best thing I did though was adjust my playing. Hitting them a lot softer produces much better results for recording midi. I started out smashing the hell out of them because that's was how my mate who lent me his kit played them. Recording him would be a full velocity nightmare! I've developed my style of a softer touch around the velocities and it's yielded much better results than when I started out.

I can upgrade my hh controller for about $65, which would give me one more note/sound option, but if I'd wanna go any further than that, I'd have to get another brain/module, so I'm just gonna stick with what I have for now. Maybe later on down the road I'll get another module/brain, but for now, this little e-kit does what I need....

I don't know what those Yamaha kits are like to be honest, or any other. The one I borrowed was a Roland and then I purchased the same thing because it worked for me. The only difference being an extra pad for the Ride so I can have 3 Toms and 2 Cymbals.

But, as long as what you have suits you, that is all that matters. Mine will do for me until I get myself a real kit. :thumbs up:

Good playing in the vid dude, I'm impressed to be honest!!!!

Thanks man. That was 6 months ago when I uploaded that video and I've come a long way since then, I think anyway. :thumbs up:

Nice Rami. Its funny how you can form an image of someone from their online persona, and be so off base. Not at all what I had conjured up!

Ive been on on the kit only a few short years and I am (again) reminded how far I have to go... :-)

Nice Rami. Its funny how you can form an image of someone from their online persona, and be so off base. Not at all what I had conjured up!

Ive been on on the kit only a few short years and I am (again) reminded how far I have to go... :-)

I figured he had 8 arms and 4 legs, I was crushed.:D

More people should post videos of themselves, even just screwing around on their axes.
There's an old video of me floating around somewhere strumming my acoustic and singing about coffee.

I've seen a few live vids of myself. I ain't gonna and don't know how to make my own at home vids anyway.

Any bass playing drummer with a Ray Charles avatar who's into boxing must be black.

Actually, now that I say it, I guess I can see how someone would think I'm black. :D

That video is doctored. This is how I really look:

Attachments

• P1010009 (3).JPG
    P1010009 (3).JPG
    909.9 KB · Views: 0
Just kidding....I'm sure nobody wants to see me bear.

Attachments

• 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Back