Snare Samples?

andrushkiwt

So, I use Superior Drummer 2 and I pull pieces from the NY Avatar kit, the Rock Warehouse kit, and the Metal Machine kit. With 40+ cymbals to choose from, I'm good there :) Enough kicks as well, though most need tweaking since it's all non-processed, raw material. However, the 5-6 snares in each aren't cutting it for me sometimes. I want powerful, but bright. A nice rounded smack with a crisp high-end air to it that cracks nicely.

Am I able to somehow download an external snare sample and import it into Superior Drummer? Or would i have to insert it onto a new MIDI vst track and have only that snare occupy it? Not sure how this works or how it's done.

Finally, if anyone has any ideas, would you direct me somewhere that has a list of downloadable samples that I can integrate easily into my projects? Studio One 2 Pro. THANKS!

Can't use outside samples inside superior no.

So yeah you would just turn off the snare and use something else to run it, a sampler like kontakt or something.

Ok, so if Studio One has its own sampler plug (something that lets you inserts samples) then I just download the .wav of whatever I want?

hmm... but then I can't change intensities of the snare like I can in Superior Drummer. I'd be stuck with a single snare sound for every hit? What do you do, adjust the level of it then to make it different when you want?

update: ok, i figured it out. yeah, studio one has a sampler channel that lets you insert a sample and edit it via MIDI. so, i can mute the snare channel in SD and just use this channel for the snare. Problem being - i can't adjust velocities or how hard it's hit. it just is what it is. hmmm.... maybe i'll look into doing it only during choruses or something where the hits are probably much more uniform.

any other ideas on how to implement using a sample? also, any quality sample databases out there?

Last edited:
I personally use steven slate's trigger for this kind of thing. I have my snare uploaded to my site if you want to check that out, both in zipped up raw wav and slate trigger files.

Just a quick thing.

While what I said was true for Superior 2, Superior 3 does indeed allow you to import your own samples if you want.

Back