snare drum samples

tbone36109

hey im looking to buy a snare drum for about 200 bucks give or take some and thinking the Musashi Oak snare. I was just wondering if anyone has any recordings that used the musashi snare or any snares around that cost so i can hear how they sound(im ganna be using it for recording anyways) and also what heads i should get for it.

You can get Ludwig Supraphonics on Ebay all day long for your budget. These are the most recorded snares in history. I personally like the 6.5 X 14, but the 5 inch deep ones are excellent as well.

I dont know anything about that snare, but I have been really impressed by Pacifics lower end snares. I have the 805 snare and it sounds awesome. Its even less than your budget.

http://conawaydrums.com/snares.htm

I bought one of these, a 14x5.5 in birch, and it's probably the best drum purchase I've made. I think it was $225 then, prices have gone up by about $25 a snare since then. But you'd be hard pressed to find another snare of this quality, hand-assembled from Keller shells, 10 lugs, nice-looking finish, at this price... unless you build it yourself.

I have samples if you want to hear it.

edit: just realized you are looking for samples...

Skip to about 1:30 in this one... this one shows both the rimshot sound and the snare sound:

Drums come in at around :55 in this one:

thanks for the post you guys, i guess i should of described the sound i was looking to get. I want something nice and loud with a dry crack but still a little warmth, thats why i seemed like the musashi oak , with maybe a double ply head cranked all the way up would of been good, that conway just didnt cut through the mix like i need. and i have some pacific snare, ( I have a pacific kit which i love all except the snare and some of the hardware).I have been to local guitar center but i dont think the guys take the time to tune the displays there so its really hard to tell
ps i have no problem buying used so suggestions like the supraphonic would be good but im not sure what they sound like

80% of all the rock recordings made between 1968 and 1988 were supraphonics. John Bonham used a 6.5 inch deep supraphonic.

although i love bohnoms soud it doesnt its not really what i need in this aplication thanks though
ps i kinda like the snare in your songs silly hat just doesnt cut enough with enough attack. I just heard one of the ocdp 614x6 snares vented and it was perferct but expensive, but then again it doesnt look to hard to make. you think i would get a similar sound if i took a 5x14 pacific cx snare i dont like and bought one of the 20 ply saluda 14x5 snares or 14x6 snares and just replaced the shell and cut vents?

Last edited:
Back