A skill I'd like to have...

What skill is that? Playing music? Recording music? Growing a beard? Cutting down a tree? Playing drums? What do you mean?

What skill is that? Playing music? Recording music? Growing a beard? Cutting down a tree? Playing drums? What do you mean?

I think he meant spend an extraordinarily long amount of time and labor to make crappy music.

I watched the video with no sound. I don't doubt that it's crappy music, but what kind of crappy music is it?

It's not the music, but (as the title implies) the ability to craft a drumset (or guitar or mandolin or ocarina or even a kazoo) out of raw materials (in this case from the tree up). I know how to cut down trees. I've got a wood shop and have made simple things like book cases. I can even grow a beard. The craftsmanship and not the music is the point.
I think RFR got it...others...just here to bully and criticize? Nice life skills.

It's not the music, but (as the title implies) the ability to craft a drumset (or guitar or mandolin or ocarina or even a kazoo) out of raw materials (in this case from the tree up). I know how to cut down trees. I've got a wood shop and have made simple things like book cases. I can even grow a beard. The craftsmanship and not the music is the point.
I think RFR got it...others...just here to bully and criticize? Nice life skills.

Lol. STFU, you pissy wimp.

But anyway, if that's what it was, you can build a stave drum set. If you know how to cut a piece of wood, use glue, and measure things, you can probably do it. Yes, I mean you. You might get a splinter or something tragic like that, but I think you could probably do it. Just do your research. I really doubt those guys just walked into the woods, cut down a tree, and made a perfect drum set without ever doing anything like that before.

Working on that. Not the STFU, but building up my woodworking skills. Seen some amazing guitar building skill and some incredible woodworking art that goes on from some of our peeps. Pretty sure I don't need to start by cutting down the tree, but that made the video interesting at least. On the other hand, cutting down a maple is a lot cheaper than buying enough maple to build a kit... Just need to build the forms and the kiln I guess.
What caught my attention was the way they built it from short sections (like a planter) instead of one long piece rolled into a circle like most drums are. I can build planters. I don't have the machinery (or space) to kiln or press a board long enough to make an 18" floor tom, let alone a kick...

Working on that. Not the STFU, but building up my woodworking skills. Seen some amazing guitar building skill and some incredible woodworking art that goes on from some of our peeps. Pretty sure I don't need to start by cutting down the tree, but that made the video interesting at least. On the other hand, cutting down a maple is a lot cheaper than buying enough maple to build a kit... Just need to build the forms and the kiln I guess.
What caught my attention was the way they built it from short sections (like a planter) instead of one long piece rolled into a circle like most drums are. I can build planters. I don't have the machinery (or space) to kiln or press a board long enough to make an 18" floor tom, let alone a kick...

It's called a stave shell. Here....
Building A Stave Drum

I watched the video with no sound. I don't doubt that it's crappy music, but what kind of crappy music is it?
Metalcore

Hey! Just 'cause we're being sarcastic and snarky doesn't mean we don't respect the artistry and craftsmanship!

Really though, access to the tools is a big part of this. You yourself were saying you don't have the kiln, etc. for a lot of this.

Really though, access to the tools is a big part of this. You yourself were saying you don't have the kiln, etc. for a lot of this.

Hm, I think the interest and the starting with smaller tools comes before seeking out an industrial woodshop.

It's like someone saying "I'd like to get into music but I don't have access to a recording studio" or "I'd like to learn more about cars but I don't have access to a garage with a lift".

Greg, why don't you STFU for once?

Lol. No thanks. Why don't you? I actually helped the guy. You only post here to follow me around and whine at my posts. So put me on your ignore list like a good little butthurt moron, or STFU yourself.

Back