Single Bass Pedal

The SoulJacker

I need a new pedal the belt-drive piece o' crap that came with my kit all those years ago is finally past it. Any ideas under £100 if you can please. I am going for a single pedal for the reason that I cannot afford anything else.

DW 5000 is a good chain driven kick pedal (don't know if they still make it, but probably a similiar model available). Pearl makes some ok ones as well. You should be able to get a decent one in that price range.

here are 3 that I think are very worth checking out:

DW5000
Yamaha FP850
Tama Iron Cobra

I don't think that you can go wrong with any of those 3....just make sure that you check it out before you buy (preferably at a place like GC where you can put the pedal on a kit and play for a while)

Kick Drum Pedal

Things with my kit have been progressing nicely. Thanks to all of you who responded earlier.

I got GAS today when I saw a pearl exprot 10" tom to match my other ISS tom and traded it for my forum tom. Now I have all pearl export drums, odds and ends, but a nice looking and sounding kit. I put the Aquarian super kick 1 and Acquarian ebony resonant on the 22" pearl export bass drum.

I went to GC and picked up one of the Yamaha FP9310 dual chain drive foot pedals for the bass drum. If you remember I had one of these on the Rhythem Travler bass drum and it was wobbly.

Now with the FP3910 pedal I have a similar wobbly drum but not so bad. I talked to the guy at the pro drum shop where I should have bought the pedal ( but went to GC due to the return policy) and he said I have it set up wrong.

I lowered the front(resonant side) of the drum so the rim and the two spurs are all in contact with the floor. When I put that yamaha pedal on the drum it picks up the front of the drum and causes it to wobble when I push with my foot.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to put one of these Yamaha FP9130 pedals on a pearl export drum?

Thanks in advance again.
You guys are great!

I reccomend anything by DW or Pearl.

I've never been a fan of Tama pedals myself...

If you have the money, look at the DW9000 Series. They are the smoothest pedals I've ever played!

It's really all a matter of feel. See if you can go down to a local SamAsh or Guitar Center or somewhere they have pedals set up. And just play as many as you can. And buy the one the feels best for you.

Justin : www.music-chat.net

but how to set up the pedal

I got the yamaha FP9310 pedal. I just needsome advice on how to level the whole thing out.

I know the riser is level cause the drule is equally running from my mouth but how the hell to put this pedal on my drum without my drum being so wobble?

TIA
Phil

fldrummer said:
Pearl elminator work very well for me.

Yeah, I have an older pearl PowerShifter, which is basically the same deal.
See if you can find one on eBay, a PowerShifter that is...heck, look for an Eliminator, they might be goin' cheap too....
I have no idea what £100 is...but ALWAYS check eBay!

Help with Yamaha Pedal

I am sure the pearl pedals are great. I was just wondering if anyone had the yamaha FP series on their Pearl bass drum and how they set up so the drum does not wobble.

Phil

Phil,

Hopefully, you're still checking this thread.

Your bass drum should not have the front rim toucning the platform. You want your spurs to put the front of the drum as low to the platform as possible WITHOUT any part of the drum actually touching the platform, except for the spurs and the pedal. The pedal must be flat on the platform, which may cause it not to match the angle of the bass drum. No problem. Just make sure the pedal is flat on the platform and tighten the clamp just enough to get a good grip, but not so much as to bring it in line with the hoop. This should solve your wobble problem.

Hope that helps.

Proof that 1 out of 20 drummers can read

Captian:

Thanks for actually addressing the question. I have tried to adjust per your instructions. A little better but still a little wobbly.

With the resonant side spurs adjusted so the front of the drum is at the same height off the platform as the batter side ( with the Yamaha FP under the rim) I still have a slight problem.

If you look close at the Yamaha FP the plate on the bottom of it is not flat but arched, according to Yamaha this is to keep the pedal planted so the drum does not walk away.

The "heal" of the FP is slightly off the platform while the system is at rest but when I put my foot on it it rocks the drums. I guess if I played with my foot planted on the heal all the time it would not rock, but I take my foot off the pedal all the time and it rocks.

I guess this rocking may be why most pedals have the wire frame rather than a plate. I did noticed the DW 5000 pedal has a flat platform and the part that clamps under the drum is only 1/8" thick rather than the 3/4" of the yamaha pedal.

Everyone says "Yamaha, it is the way you have set the drums up, nothing wrong with their stuff" I will keep working on it but please offer any more help if you have some.

I think I will play with the front angle a little more so the weight at the attachment point is less and perhaps keeps the back of the FP on the platform.

Thanks a whole lot.
Phil

I hope this is not the answer

Captian:

I put a half inch piece of board under the heal of the Yamaha FP. Viola! the kit is stable.

What a cheezy design, or perhaps a great design for someone who keeps their foot planted on the heal of the FP and has a problem with the bass drum inching away on them, but for a light foot like me this design SUCKS.

I am taking the Yamaha pedal back to GC and gettin me a REAL foot pedal, probably the DW 5000.................... Unless of course someone can help me adjust it better so it is stable without the board in the back.

Thanks
Phil

Hey Phil,

It could be that one of the tension rod casings is touching the platform, hence when you put a board under the pedal, the whole drum lifts up and the casing is no longer touching the platform. The resonant side of the drum should be HIGHER than the batter side. Of course, this will cause most beaters to not strike the head squarely. However, if you end up with a DW pedal (I have the 5002A Accelerator model - and you can have it when you pry it from my cold, dead hands!! ha ha) their beater is curved perpendicular to a standard beater, so the head angle is not an issue.

To put it another way, when your bass drum is set up, you should be able to slide, say, a piece of cardboard under the drum without anything (besides the spurs and pedal) getting in the way.

Or, it could be that I've totally misunderstood the problem you are having! If you could send a picture, that would help.

Wobbel

Captian:

I think you understand the problem, but let me explain better.

Lets say I have it exactly as you describe but I have a DW 5002 instead. Now put a bottlecap right under the DW FP right were the pedal attaches to the drum. Everything is fine. Now put your foot on the pedal, not to hit the drum just rest your heal on the back of the pedal.

What should happen to you is what happens with this Yamaha FP
The bottlecap acts as the fulcrum of a lever and when you push your heal down it jacks the front of the drum up.

I fashioned a little heal out of wood, kind of like the heal of a loafer and used the screws in the pedal to hold it all together. This seems to be working for me now.

I still do not understand why I have to build something to get a pedal that is supposed to be great to work on a very standard 22" bass drum.

Phil.

From what you've described, it confirms that something is touching the platform when your heel is OFF of the pedal. When you put your heel on the pedal, and the fulcrum effect lifts the drum up, whatever is touching the platform no longer does so, and the drum is stable.

Back when I had my Gretsch set (I've switched to Roland V drums), the front of the bass drum had to be about 3 inches higher than the batter side. This meant that the pedal would not be on the same plane as the bass drum hoop that it attached to. It took some very careful tightening of the pedal clamp to hold the pedal in place without damaging the hoop.

Have you tried the "cardboard test" yet?

cardboard test

No cardboard test but I can see that the drum is only touching in three places. My little heal seems to have fixed the problem for now. I like the way it works, quiet, hard hitter, responsive.

Phil

Back