Side stick?

Hey drummers....

I'm not at all a drummer but I'm writing out some music for one and I can't remember a certain term that I want to write down.
I call it a "side stick" but last year when I wrote this in the chart I got some weird looks from the drummer and he asked me what the hell I meant by that.

Basically, it's the technique of using the side of the stick to hit the rim of the snare. Used a lot in jazz. That's the term I need.

If you could help me I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

B

I think some people call it a "rimshot."

That's a powerful full-on whack. I think the OP is talking about the technique in which the stick is laid across the head of the snare and is pivoted on it's butt end to tap the rim with it's tip end while still laying across the head.

I think the OP is talking about the technique in which the stick is laid across the head of the snare and is pivoted on it's butt end to tap the rim with it's tip end while still laying across the head.

This is what I would call a side-sick snare, too. I guess I figured since its use in the context he was writing the chart in went south, that he must have wanted some other term. I personally can't imagine a drummer not knowing both of those terms :confused: Those are pretty basic things.

Cross Stick or "rim click" are both acceptable terms... though cross-stick is really the "proper" term.

A rimshot is NOT the same thing. A rim shot is when the drum is played in such a way that the stick strikes both the head and the rim simultaneously. A rimshot is ridiculously loud, and not a "suitable substitute" when the chart calls for cross-stick.

That's a powerful full-on whack. I think the OP is talking about the technique in which the stick is laid across the head of the snare and is pivoted on it's butt end to tap the rim with it's tip end while still laying across the head.

Some books refers to it as "latin rimshot"... But yeah, totally different than the regular rimshot...

okay, i'll leave it at side stick or cross stick...and yeah, I know I don't want a rim shot.

I figured that was what it was, but he questioned me last year so I thought maybe I was wrong. The guy is a really really good drummer and classically/jazz trained (one of the best I've worked with performance wise) so I wasn't about to question him. Maybe he was just double checking with me to make sure he knew what I wanted. I know how you drummers don't trust us wind players ;) I just want to make the only rehearsal we have go as smoothly as possible.

Thanks again guys

Back