Recording drums in a large room

Masterjazz

Hey
Gonna be doing a demo soon enough and will be recording the drums in a very large loft type room where the floors, walls, and even ceilings are made of wood (norweigan wood apparantly cos' our drummer is from there!..)

Will this make things sound different?
Should we record somwhere else or what should we do to improve things?

i think this is a pretty ideal way to record drums.... i think larger rooms give you more a more uniform reverb across the kit. a bit of carpet under the kit would probably be required for sliping and sliding purposes.. and if you are recording the kit on its own (no other instruments) then try some minimalist micing techniques to take advantage of the ambience..

I agree, a friend of mine just finished a cd in Nashville and he mentioned the drum room had a 20 ft ceiling...you could hear the difference on the tracks.

When I used to play out live, sometimes the only mic picking up the drums was the drummers vocal mic (an sm57)...obviously I don't suggest this for quality recording but it always amazed me how well the drums sounded.

dr.colossus said:
a bit of carpet under the kit would probably be required for sliping and sliding purposes..
yeh i agree i record in a wooden floored room(sounds great by the way) and the sliding bassdrum/hardware is a bitch - a little bit of carpet is a must have!

Back