recording drum tips

drummerfreak33

Alright so I am on my Christmas break which ends up being a little shy of a month. Im very pleased about this, as I have all my recording equipment set up in my basement and am excited to recording for a whole month.

problem. I have always been working on getting a good drum sound. I use an mbox currently and submix the drums through a behringer mixer. Currently I am using 57 on the snare and 57's on my 10 and 14 inch toms. Beta 52 on the bass drum, and 1 AT3035 as an overhead. My main problems I am perciecing from the sound would have to be my 14" tom and my overhead. With the 14" tom I am having trouble getting that thick sound that a low tom should have. I have my toms tuned well so that is most likely not the problem. ANy tips!?

Also my overhead. Right now I use a boom stand and go overhead right in the center aiming down on the drum set and cymbals. My problem is the cymbals have way to much resonance and unpleasant tones when recorded. I am not real experienced with getting a good overhead sound so I am needing some help. Does the low cut switch, or pad switch have anything to do with anything?

Also any suggestions on any of my micing situations would be of great help. Any EQ advice or any advice on ANYTHING involving getting a good drum sound I would greatly appreciate!!

if your basement all concrete. i think you want to deaded it somehow to make your cymbals not sound like trashcans.

if im wrong, somebody please correct me.

Its actually not. And I know that it would help some. but ive recorded my drums at a friends basement before, its about the same set up as mind, and the cymbals had a really nice warm welcoming sound.

yea my friend tracked drums in a living room with a wood floor, and i know that went really good.

maybe different placements in the room??? out from the wall, in a corner....????

I really don't like the 3035 as an overhead, it's too boxed in sounding to get a nice sheen on stuff for my taste. Spend a lot of time on mic placement and tuning, you will be a lot happier. Remember, there is a "best spot" for each mic to be in, find it.

would trying it a few feet out in front of the drums be a decent placement for an overhead? I know it wouldnt exactly be overhead than.

You should not be asking, if you haven't tried at least twenty spots for that mic yet you are asking for trouble. Go try it everywhere you can think of till something sounds good and then try ten other places.
Take notes and listen to each placement with some scratch instruments at least and not alone.

well heres the thing. I have tried it there and it makes the cymbals sound a bit better, but it also ends up giving the whole mix more of an airy sound. Im trying to figure out another way still having it closer and overhead cause Im not a fan of an airy mix either.

Then keep moving it.....

Seriously. Go a bit closer, try a bit off axis, try closer to the ceiling, balance that mic between cymbals and move it around every possible area. When you get it in the best possible spot try playing with some control onthe toms and cymbals to get the sound you want.

I'm still working on my drum sounds, but I've gotten a lot of good advice in these forums.

The best thing I ever did for my drums was use stereo overheads. Creating a stereo image of the kit just seems to fill in a lot of the holes that were in my previous drum tones.

Also, the more I back off my drums, the more I like the way they sound. Now, I DO like airy, roomy drums, so this might not be for you. Try getting at least three inches off every drum, pointed at the rim, about a 15 degree angle from the head. Direct them for cancellation (of cymbals, mostly) as best you can, and give that a shot.

Tuning is huge as well, and I've definitely spent two hours tuning a kit before even putting a single mic up before.

The saddest part, or course, is that drum tones are roughly 60% (or more) up to the drummer (I don't know if that's you, or someone else). A drummer that hits his drums well and makes good, confident musical decisions will make your job about as easy as it could be.

Hope that helps.

One thing my pal (sonusman) and I have been doing on our last session is to put a nice mic in a reflective spot around the corner from the drums. It sounds like echoey crap alone but a little in the drum mix adds sheen and size galore. The mic ends up about twenty five feet away and in a very bright laundry room pointing away from the kit. Actually come to think of it I guess we liked cardioid better for that.

I concur with the SD condensors as stereo overheads, much fuller.

But use what you got, remember, if a pro had your gear he could get a better sound than you are. Always strive for that.

thanks guys I wont be able to get back to the recording thing until monday again, cause of family in town, but I appreciate all the tips! I am just still learning so much, and know so little, thanks for helping me on my way

drummerfreak33 said:
Alright so I am on my Christmas break which ends up being a little shy of a month. Im very pleased about this, as I have all my recording equipment set up in my basement and am excited to recording for a whole month.

problem. I have always been working on getting a good drum sound. I use an mbox currently and submix the drums through a behringer mixer. Currently I am using 57 on the snare and 57's on my 10 and 14 inch toms. Beta 52 on the bass drum, and 1 AT3035 as an overhead. My main problems I am perciecing from the sound would have to be my 14" tom and my overhead. With the 14" tom I am having trouble getting that thick sound that a low tom should have. I have my toms tuned well so that is most likely not the problem. ANy tips!?

Also my overhead. Right now I use a boom stand and go overhead right in the center aiming down on the drum set and cymbals. My problem is the cymbals have way to much resonance and unpleasant tones when recorded. I am not real experienced with getting a good overhead sound so I am needing some help. Does the low cut switch, or pad switch have anything to do with anything?

Also any suggestions on any of my micing situations would be of great help. Any EQ advice or any advice on ANYTHING involving getting a good drum sound I would greatly appreciate!!

samples???

A 14" tom is not going to have the low end meatiness and punch that a 16" or 18" floor tom is going to have. It's not voiced for that low a pitch. You can tune it low but it will have a less authoratative sound. You've got your toms mic'd, so your OH mic should be picking up cymbals, hats, and a general image of the kit in general.

Try tuning your toms lower and hitting them harder. Run gates on each tom and turn 'em up.

Back