Put up some pics of your kit

Well if Sevendust does it, I'm certainly not gonna do it. :laughings:

Punk! :)

No particular band name involved bro. Just a idea I caught by seeing another's setup. Personally, I am not a fan of Sevendust. I don't really consider myself a fan of anyone actually, and could care less about what anyone does.

It was just the setup that ended up working for me, that I found by happening to show up at one of their shows. Done....

Ive always had my ride in that position for as long as I can remember, it really is a pretty common set up , but of course it comes down what works for each drummer.

Punk! :)

No particular band name involved bro. Just a idea I caught by seeing another's setup. Personally, I am not a fan of Sevendust. I don't really consider myself a fan of anyone actually, and could care less about what anyone does.

It was just the setup that ended up working for me, that I found by happening to show up at one of their shows. Done....

Your setup is actually very common these days - especially with double kick pedals but one kick. I see it all the time. A lot of people even set their kick up at an angle as if there was another kick up there like there would be with a typical double kick drum kit. The snare is center, the rack toms are centered in front of the snare like in a triangle, and the kick is angled to the right with the drummer centered facing forward. I've just never tried it that way. I've been playing my one way since i was like 16-17 years old and haven't changed...or gotten any better. :laughings:

Your setup is actually very common these days - especially with double kick pedals but one kick. I see it all the time. A lot of people even set their kick up at an angle as if there was another kick up there like there would be with a typical double kick drum kit. The snare is center, the rack toms are centered in front of the snare like in a triangle, and the kick is angled to the right with the drummer centered facing forward. I've just never tried it that way. I've been playing my one way since i was like 16-17 years old and haven't changed...or gotten any better. :laughings:

Yeah, it is common now. When I changed my setup, I was a metal head with two kick drums and way to many toms/cymbals, and lame ass chimes. Octo's, 8, and 13" sitting in the back room. Eventually I realized that 'show' meant 'work'. Loading gear anyway. Less is more to me now, but I don't play that type of music much anymore. Having 4 toms though, is a necessity for me, as far as a studio recording setup.

Whatever works for anyone else, well, it's not my call. The whole 'two actual kick drum' thing IMO, is just a pain in the ass to record, or havoc live. I am sure there are drummers who still claim to use them live, but they are likely not actually using the actual mic'd kicks anyway.

+1 to playing your own way...

Holy tom angles!

Let's just say I'm no expert at setting up drums :D. I found it really difficult getting a playable angle in the space I had available in that corner of the room. The setup in the pic isn't ideal, but I could roll around the toms a bit, which made me extremely happy!

What is it with limeys and Stagg cymbals? The only people I "know" that even talk about those things are online brits. They're rare over here and even if you do find one, they're cheap and trashy. Maybe yall get good ones or something and they don't export to the US.

IME, Stagg seem to make entry-level (and often low) quality stuff. They make lots of stuff - I have a Stagg mandolin an ex bought me (right-handed, though!) - it's pretty crappy and doesn't stay in tune, but fun for a bit every now and then. I would guess the cymbals are of a similar quality - cheap and nasty, but might be the sound you're looking for once in a while (however, I haven't seen or used any).

Their instrument cables are cheap and work fine, though. I also have a tambourine and some maracas from them which are decent enough.

This is excactly how I set my drums up and it made me the best drummer in my family.....you should try it!!

Yea, I was already too, I was lying.....about the set up that is...

Whats that green thing on your stick holder?

I thought I was anal about my setup, glad im not alone, although memory locks and a drum rug with gaffers tape marking all my stuff is all I use.

I can't imagine having anything more than a 4 pc. kit. One rack, one floor - I don't know what I'd do with anything else - but I don't use the toms all that much and most of my fills are some variation of RLRLRLRL with accents in different places.... I've seen killer drummers, way better than me, that absolutely smoke with just a kick, snare, and floor tom. All depends on your style I guess.

I thought I was anal about my setup, glad im not alone, although memory locks and a drum rug with gaffers tape marking all my stuff is all I use.

I keep the tape measure handy for consistency with the overheads. I'm always tearing down and setting up going back and forth between gigs and recording. Like today, they're coming down and getting cleaned up and tuned up for a big gig tomorrow night. Tape on the rug and the tape measure ensures that my kit will go back in the same spot and the overheads will be where they were before I tore everything down. I also like to have consistency with my drum sounds. Getting the overheads back into the same place each time allows my drum tracks to sound roughly the same from song to song in between gigs. I do it that way because I record my songs with the idea of them going onto an album later. I'll do em all the same way until I pile up about 17 or 18 songs. Once those songs are in the bag, then I'll reflect, analyze, and do whatever changes I wanna do. My next move is probably gonna be different tom setups like I mentioned earlier and coated heads.

I can't imagine having anything more than a 4 pc. kit. One rack, one floor - I don't know what I'd do with anything else - but I don't use the toms all that much and most of my fills are some variation of RLRLRLRL with accents in different places.... I've seen killer drummers, way better than me, that absolutely smoke with just a kick, snare, and floor tom. All depends on your style I guess.

When I was a psychobilly drummer all I had was a kick, snare, floor tom, and one ride cymbal. It was fucking great.

I like having toms now though. I don't do any fancy rolls or fills, but they're nice to have. Single stroke rolls on the snare can get monotonous.

I like having toms now though. I don't do any fancy rolls or fills, but they're nice to have. Single stroke rolls on the snare can get monotonous.

The 12" rack for that kit just gathers dust right now but I think if I ever got bored of 4 pcs, I'd get an 18" floor before I mounted the 12...but it's pretty cramped back there already.

The 12" rack for that kit just gathers dust right now but I think if I ever got bored of 4 pcs, I'd get an 18" floor before I mounted the 12...but it's pretty cramped back there already.

An 18" floor tom is like thunder of the gods. Love mine. I've got it tuned to be really resonant and it booms.

I had a kit for awhile that had 14-16" floor toms. It sucked. Your right, a 18" floor is like thunder of the gods! I'll never not use an 18 floor tom again.

Back