Put up some pics of your kit

Here's my kit, which is sadly packed away at the moment. I can't play much, so I program my drums, but I love to give them a bash every now and then. It's a bog standard Pearl Export (described to me by my drum teacher, who got it for me, as the Ford Mondeo of drums) with Zildjian cymbals and a small Paiste crash.

IMAG0050.jpg

You know what's funny? On my control panel, I still have a warning from Dragon for a thread I called "Show me your tits", which was a spoof of a thread going on at the time that was called "Show me your kits". It's from 2008.
This thread only has one kit in the title. I wonder if one tit would merit a warning.

Here's my kit, which is sadly packed away at the moment. I can't play much, so I program my drums, but I love to give them a bash every now and then. It's a bog standard Pearl Export (described to me by my drum teacher, who got it for me, as the Ford Mondeo of drums) with Zildjian cymbals and a small Paiste crash.

View attachment 73469
Holy tom angles!

Holy tom angles!

Yeah, I always wonder about that with a lot of kits I see. It makes them look way too difficult to play, but I have seen people with their toms set up like that and they seem to make it work, go figure.

Some really cool looking set ups so far.

And then, like a bad penny........

I've nearly always thought in terms of drums. When I used to write novels in my head of bands back in the 70s and early 80s, the music pretty much stood or fell on the drummer. When I started playing bass, although the first couple of people I recorded/jammed with were guitarists, over the next few years, I almost exclusively played with drummers. I always wrote songs with drums in mind.
A couple of years before I started multitracking, I bought a set of congas ridiculously cheap from a local hood {they were actually his ! } and some bongos at a snip from a shop that was closing down {actually, I got a few items from there, I still have the mic stands}. I still have the congas and I loaned my mate the bongos around the back end of last century. He still has them {I've since gotten another set}. But as my friend and I were playing more I bought a drumkit for him to play. I was fortunate - my neighbours were great. Not once over an 8 year period did anyone moan about noise {though they did about drilling and my double bass bowing} and we recorded tons of stuff. It was a cheap Mirage set10.JPG that cost me £229 in 1991. It obviously wasn't very good but that wasn't really my concern. At the time it was just for jamming and to me, I just needed drums in the music I was making.
When I did start actually recording, all the basic elements were in place. I didn't have a clue about miking techniques and the importance of placement, I just stuck mics where I thought they'd capture the sound. I used to use 3 mics, routed through a mic mixer then fed to one track on my portastudio. We were very experimental and had great fun.7.JPG8.JPG11.JPGIn those pre-internet days and the days when I was net ignorant, I just used to take clues from magazine interviews, biographies and the like. Sometimes at a gig or on telly {on the brief glance you'd get of drums because the drummers weren't pretty lead singers or wild fingered lead guitarists}, you'd see something that a drummer might do like tape a wodge of tissue to the snare and toms or put a tambourine on the snare or hi~hat or you'd hear of drilled cymbals with rivets in them for some extended sizzle so we'd try those sort of things or maybe you'd see a picture of a drummer playing with different sized toms to the sort of standard ones9.JPG. I'm not a drummer but I know what I like to hear so I'd try all kinds of things. Some things worked, some of them didn't. I added various bits and pieces to the Mirage over the years. Different sized cymbals, toms, little effects like tambourine and cowbell or metal plates. I used to do alot of instrument wheeler dealing and exchanging at various second hand instrument shops. By the time I went electric and gave the kit to my nephew, it was a mirage and a half.

DMR Custom Drums w/Keller maple shells - One DMR snare one Pearl Steve Ferrone Signature brass snare, Sabians all around - This one's my main 'noisy bastard'

Vintage 1990's Space Muffins kit by Boom Theory - Electrics that play like acoustics

The last pic is how I get that John Bonham drum sound...

riser01.jpgmyview.jpgDSCN6292.JPGquatat.jpg

SM01.jpgSM02.jpgSM04.jpg

bigdrum.jpg

Not to knock electric kits but in the end, they just didn't work out for me. A bit like double bass samples. They're great and all, certainly for some applications but I found that they simply cannot replicate some things that I take for granted so I just went and bought one last month. And that's what I did with the drums at the end of 2006 or thereabouts. I spent a while looking for cheap kits and this set caught my eye. It was an Arbiter flat lites kit and what stood out was it's storage capabilities. When the ad said it fitted in two bags, I thought "oh ?....". I read as much on them as I could find and the few drummers that had them said they were OK in certain situations.3.jpg One of the things that tipped me was that no one came foaming at the mouth with praise.
I remember reading a book on the Sex Pistols in the late 70s in which one of the guys that signed them made a point that has long registered with me. He said one of the great things about punk when it began was that it restored the notion that you didn't need vast amounts of money and technical wizardry to enjoy making music, "that all you needed was a £30 guitar [or similar cheap instrument]". There's a bit of that in me. I tend to think that if you can get an acceptable sound from something, then a grand performance can take it to different levels.
So I bought them and they've been what I've used since. Three different drummers have used them regularly and like the Mirage, we've done tons of recordings on them. I would say that it's on the Arbiter that I've really learned about recording drums {and in that regard, HR has been priceless}.4.jpg
I've retained the experimental bent of yesteryear and the huge Meinl cymbal {it's almost gong like}, the Aria toms and the sizzle cymbal with the shimmering rivets have remained with me from the old days. My brother in law gave me a Zildjian ride cymbal and because my nephew doesn't use the drums I gave him anymore, I sometimes use the snare. It's not great but it's got a timbale type sound that I really like and it makes for a nice contrast with the arbiter snare. After a young drummer smashed the original hi~hat and bent the original crash cymbal, I got a set of Solar hi~hats and a Stagg 15" crash and 8" splash cymbal. 1.JPGOf the components of the Arbiter itself, I like the sound of the 3 toms and the bass drum, deadened or resonant. The snare is a bit hit or miss, sometimes just what I'm looking for, other times not. The arbiter has one tuning lug which is handy. I've always "tuned" the drums, even though I don't know how. What I've always done is tune all the toms and snare so that as you play each one, you get a nice different pitch.
Depending on who is drumming, sometimes I'll use a suitcase as a bass drum. 2.JPGI credit Moresound with that one, he did a well contested thread a couple of years back that inspired me to try it out. I do like the sound of it. You don't hear it so much in the room, but when I play back the recording, I'm always surprized at how it comes over. And for me, that's what matters. I also sometimes use an electric kick {a "Session pro"} 6.JPGfor total separation. There are about four kick sounds on the brain I attach it to that I like and use.5.JPGThe kick is about the only convincing sound for me on an electric brain.
I'm still fortunate to have understanding neighbours.

What is it with limeys and Stagg cymbals? The only people I "know" that even talk about those things are online brits. They're rare over here and even if you do find one, they're cheap and trashy. Maybe yall get good ones or something and they don't export to the US.

I didn't have time to clean them in the last 3 years, so why clean them now?

Dirty pix of my kit...

Attachments

• Dirty kit 1.JPG
    Dirty kit 1.JPG
    198.8 KB · Views: 214
  • Dirty kit 2.JPG
    Dirty kit 2.JPG
    197.6 KB · Views: 212
  • Dirty kit 3.JPG
    Dirty kit 3.JPG
    199 KB · Views: 211
  • Dirty kit 5.JPG
    Dirty kit 5.JPG
    196.2 KB · Views: 213
  • Dirty kit 6.JPG
    Dirty kit 6.JPG
    197 KB · Views: 216
Whoa that's dirty! :D

Nice kit. I'm thinking about changing my live setup to something like Jimmy's with the rack toms moved over one spot each and putting the ride between the racks and floor toms instead of off to my side.....or leaving one rack and one floor tom at home. It sucks setting all this shit up and tearing down several times a month for gigs and recording. I think live I'm just gonna use it as a 4pc and use less cymbals. Less to haul, less to set up, less to tear down. For recording I'll use everything. I think that might be backwards logic, but fuck it.

Your thinking is spot on. Back in the day I used to sport a LOT of gear doing shows until I realised I was casting pearls befor swine. Now its guerrilla mode. Easy in, easy out.

Your thinking is spot on. Back in the day I used to sport a LOT of gear doing shows until I realised I was casting pearls befor swine. Now when I gig. Now its guerrilla mode. Easy in, easy out.

It's gonna take some getting used to. Might be a good thing. The audience is not gonna care if I don't hit as many toms. I'm gonna have to revamp my playing though. I use all of those toms a lot and I sort of play on auto-pilot. I'm gonna end up reaching for that 18" floor tom and hitting air. :laughings:

Whoa that's dirty! :D

Nice kit. I'm thinking about changing my live setup to something like Jimmy's with the rack toms moved over one spot each and putting the ride between the racks and floor toms instead of off to my side.....or leaving one rack and one floor tom at home. It sucks setting all this shit up and tearing down several times a month for gigs and recording. I think live I'm just gonna use it as a 4pc and use less cymbals. Less to haul, less to set up, less to tear down. For recording I'll use everything. I think that might be backwards logic, but fuck it.

I noticed your ride over your floor toms and wondered how you made that work?! Its weird how what feels natural to one drummer may totally confuse another.
Its always been easier for me to lose a rack tom rather than a floor tom , i guess im just set in my ways!

This thread is cool!

I went to the Pearl rack system, because it was mush easier to set the memory locks, train one monkey (friend/roadie) to set it up, and only had to give him my free beers at the gigs. Problem was, he would only show up half the time, and when he did, he drank them all by show time, and lost himself somewhere. Hence, among other reasons, why the kit is so dirty. Haven't played a drumming gig live in 3 years. They still sound great in the studio. Even with the grime and spider webs. :)

On your note Greg, I used to do the ride at far right myself, then I saw the drummer from Sevendust play with the ride set between the rack/floor toms. It just seemed so natural for him, that I thought I would try it. It felt strange at first, but then I found that it worked for me too. HH and Ride at the same opposite positions made for a more comfortable position for bashing, then everything else.

And no, nobody in the audience cares how many toms you hit. When you don't f**k up, nobody really cares. Just hit the ones that need hitting. But hit them hard. :)

I noticed your ride over your floor toms and wondered how you made that work?! !

It's the only way I've ever played. I don't do any fancy patters on the ride. That shit is whack. I just bang out 8th note pings and/or beat the shit out of it. :D

Back