Outboard compressors while recording drums with my DAW

Forgive me if this seems like a stupid question. Is it possible to mic and record drums into my DAW without the use of outboard compressors and gates? In other words, can I record them raw (closely monitoring signal levels) and then add compression and gates to the recorded tracks later? I only have a small amount of money left and trying to filgure out what I should spend it on. I'm currently waiting on my Protools 9 to be delivered so that's what I'll be using to record with. Thanks!

.. Is it possible to mic and record drums into my DAW without the use of outboard compressors and gates? In other words, can I record them raw (closely monitoring signal levels) and then add compression and gates to the recorded tracks later?
Not only possible but more likely the norm. Certainly by my experience any way. There's valid reason to compress, eq perhaps, to get the sound you're headed to sooner rather than later for sure as well. But gates, I'd think much less so. It comes to your prefered working method, but a part of the thought is during the mixing you have a better picture of what it needs, and that is time when you can pause, consider, and refine. Very often tracking' is a different set of things to be foucusing on.

Welcom to the place here by the way.

This isn't an easy question to answer. 'What is the capital of Ecuador?' has one answer (Quito). Recording and music are subjective, and everyone hears it and prefers something a little different. Although having said that, most people appreciate that 'cookie cutter' sound, so there's no room for radical thinking! But seriously, recording with say just compressor has its pluses;
  1. Avoid using a plug in later and save cpu and RAM.
  2. If you clip say a snare shot in your digital recording, it's pretty tough to clean it up after.
  3. Conversely, if say your bass drum foot isn't 100% consistent and reliable, it'll probably drop out at the worst time and you'll notice it.
  4. I find I just play better for overdubbing say guitars when the drums or bass are consistent. Hearing peaks, valleys, and drop outs startles me. Imagine playing to a metronome that changed volume or attack indiscriminately.
Now for the minuses;
  1. You can't 'undo' it.
  2. If you wish for a little less compression later, too bad.
I like to 'print to tape'. If you know what you want to hear, and aren't wishy-washy, it'll be fine. You get a more consistent signal now, with less screwing around later.
That's all I got. If you can play absolutely perfectly, there is no argument. Do it raw. If you're human, you might appreciate a consistent signal to mix and play along to. Remember, it's up to what makes you feel comfortable and don't feel pressured to prefer one way over another. Experiment and decide.

Back