One Ringing Tom

Dani Pace

I've got one tom that is giving me a hard time. It's a 8x12 mounted tom. This tom has a very anoying ring, no matter how much i muffle it, the only thing that stops its ring is to throw a towel over it, which makes it nearly impossible to play. This thing even resonates to the rest of the drums (old Slingerland btw) Any suggestions on how to stop the ringing, or should I toss it and look for a replacement? The rest of the set does good both for playing live and recording.

Certainly a change of heads is a possibility - 2 ply tend to cause less ringing than single ply. Often a subtle change of tuning can get the drum out of the frequency range that is causing the ring. Sometimes, detuning only one lug can help.

Sympathetic ringing caused by the vibration of other drums is common with a tom that have a ringing problem. Most often it's the snare drum that causing most of this - mainly because the snare tends to share some of the same frequencies as an 8x12 tom.

Again, tuning the tom differently, or trying to detune the snare can sometimes help. Hanging a towel between drums (rather than draping it over a drum) can sometimes absorb some of the vibrations.

Lastly, keep in mind that why the ringing may seem a problem, once the drums are in a mix with the other instruments the ring is barely (if at all) noticable.

I agree with Mikeh.
Also try a moongel on the tom or try a evans vented 2 ply it should dry it up pretty much.

Tom

Try cotton balls inside the tom. This should kill some of the ringing. Might need quite alot of balls though if this is a big problem

hey dani! :D

yea, it's probably tuned to high.
and i know the local music store dosn't sell moon-gel (we're practially neighbors) so if you can, get one of thoes "sticky hands" they sometimes sell in vending machines (remember them?) and try putting it on the head.
(if you can find one)

costs less too.

giraffe said:
get one of thoes "sticky hands" they sometimes sell in vending machines (remember them?) and try putting it on the head.
(if you can find one)

costs less too.

Great tip..........................

that's a very interesting tip....my cousin's drumset also has a tom that likes to ring. if i ever see one of those sticky hand things i'll get one and give it a try.

Toms

Dani Pace said:
I've got one tom that is giving me a hard time. It's a 8x12 mounted tom. This tom has a very anoying ring, no matter how much i muffle it, the only thing that stops its ring is to throw a towel over it, which makes it nearly impossible to play. This thing even resonates to the rest of the drums (old Slingerland btw) Any suggestions on how to stop the ringing, or should I toss it and look for a replacement? The rest of the set does good both for playing live and recording.

Hey, I'll take it! :)
My good friends kit was an old (80's) Slingerland and he had them tuned perfectly.
I have never heard a tom sound like that since then.
Moongels are the best for taking out that unwanted ring.Also check out your heads,Thinner heads will ring more.

Back