Nightmare installing Superior Drummer 2.0

ColdToTheTouch

I've been using FL studio since it was called Fruity Loops. I love the program, but its time to upgrade. Im not a drummer, but a guitarist at heart and home producer by passion. My friend uses superior drummer, and it sounds amazing. Im pretty damn good with making drum tracks in fl studio, since Ive been using it for 12 years now, but Id really like to get into superior drummer. Its very expensive program. My laptop is only a year old, and should run SD easily. However, with my luck things wont go so smooth, as they already aren't. I decided to get the torrent so I can just give it a try, because I cannot afford to spend the $350 or so on a plug-in that may not work correctly. If I get it to work properly, i will without a doubt purchase it. Ive read so may forums, and all over the interneT about this install. I downloaded "ToonTracks solo" first, which was mentioned on another site as being mandatory for the installation of SD. I did that. Now when I go to install the 64-bit version, it seems all is well.. the installation is complete, but seems like it was too short of an install for something that comes with 5 dvds in the packaged version. After the install, it asks if I want to install the "sound installer" (i think that was what it was called) I confirm that I want to install it by clicking ok, and thats it.. nothing else happens. Ive tried the 32-bit version as well..i dont know if anybody on here can help me, or even wants to help me with all my rMBLING, BUT i NEED TO try Superior Drummer before dropping $350 on it. please help if you can!!

Do you really think that a torrent (stolen/hacked) copy is going to give you any idea of how 'paid' software is going to work?

How about looking into whether your system is adequate for the software, then make the decision...

Is there no demo version of SD? I use EZD, or at least I used to before purchasing Addictive Drums.

You haven't banned this guy yet??? Man, you're getting soft. :mad:

If you can't afford SD, then get EZDrummer. Don't steal software!!!

You haven't banned this guy yet??? Man, you're getting soft. :mad:

If you can't afford SD, then get EZDrummer. Don't steal software!!!

Naw, but I am getting soft. Plus this guy has been around a while.

He stated he wanted to buy the software. I'm not sure he doesn't just want to get the crack working, but that would be my assuming that he just wants to use the free torrent.

Not my place to make that decision.

Another question about how to make a torrent work from him? Insta-ban.

Good point though. Why not just try EZD? If that works, then likely SD will also. There are cracked versions of that as well.....

:facepalm:

Why not do what most people do and read a lot of reviews and talk to people that already own it? I'm not implying that the guy was going to use pirated software, but that just seems like a bassackwards way to decide whether to buy something or not. What if he wanted to try a new Les Paul, is he going to steal one from a music store, play it for a couple of months or so before he decides whether he likes it or not?

Why not do what most people do and read a lot of reviews and talk to people that already own it? I'm not implying that the guy was going to use pirated software, but that just seems like a bassackwards way to decide whether to buy something or not. What if he wanted to try a new Les Paul, is he going to steal one from a music store, play it for a couple of months or so before he decides whether he likes it or not?

Well that is the way I feel about it as well. I sure the hell would not let someone in my home, that has admitted to 'borrowing' stolen stuff. I will not help them in this forum either.

Just because I want to drive a Ferrari, doesn't give me the right to take one illegally from the dealer to make the decision if I want to buy one later. Shit just don't work that way. Besides, if someone can't find a way to come up with $250, then they need to find another hobby or learn to play drums themselves. Which by the way, is way more expensive. Not to mention, the OP has just admitted to committing a felony in a public forum. I don't understand how any person would think that a good idea. Not like this is private in any way. Just dumb all around....'Hey look at me! I just stole some stuff! Wanna help me out?'. Hell no. learn some morals dumbass..

And just to be clear, this is just my opinion. The reason I didn't ban the OP, is because it is not my place. TOS here is a bit vague in what is allowed here in the forum regarding piracy. Direct code sharing and links to torrents are not allowed. Admitting to criminal activity is not a violation, just stupid IMO. My values are not for me to base judgment on someone from a moderator standpoint. As a member, I can say whatever I feel though. :)

One can clearly see system requirements as well as recommended system hardware from the download site. No need to BS a reason to try to steal. Besides, you already figured out that you are not likely going to get 5 DVD's worth of info from a pirated download. I am quite happy about that.

Attachments

• SD requirements.JPG
    SD requirements.JPG
    134.7 KB · Views: 4,383
Last edited:
I saw many, many good people in Nashville, LA, and New York lose jobs in the music industry as a direct result of the digital age, The digital age made things a lot easier..and that includes stealing music. And yes I said stealing. If you download a song without paying for it that is stealing. The software we use would be a lot cheaper if people didn't steal it. Life is pretty simple; if something isn't yours then leave it the fuck alone! That's just my opinion and you're free to disagree with me, but if you're a thief I exercise my right to call you an ass hole.

I've just purchased Superior Drummer and had it yesterday. I'm STILL trying to get it to work and nothing is happening. I've emailed Toontrack and they haven't bothered. I'm so angry right now, piece of shit! Nothing is working. I've installed the 5 discs - nothing happened. I've installed the Toontrack Solo - didn't pop up with computer I.D. I can't authorize my product because there's nothing to pop up to give me my computer I.D as it's generated and NOT my PC I.D. HELP?!

I've just purchased Superior Drummer and had it yesterday. I'm STILL trying to get it to work and nothing is happening. I've emailed Toontrack and they haven't bothered. I'm so angry right now, piece of shit! Nothing is working. I've installed the 5 discs - nothing happened. I've installed the Toontrack Solo - didn't pop up with computer I.D. I can't authorize my product because there's nothing to pop up to give me my computer I.D as it's generated and NOT my PC I.D. HELP?!

Open it up inside your host DAW. Assign it to a track, it'll ask you to authorize it then.

I've just purchased Superior Drummer and had it yesterday. I'm STILL trying to get it to work and nothing is happening. I've emailed Toontrack and they haven't bothered. I'm so angry right now, piece of shit! Nothing is working.

First off....change your attitude.
There's nothing wrong with Superior Drummer, it's one of the top drum apps...a lot of us use it, and it installs and works flawlessly.

I don't know how things work in whatever DAW app you are using, but for starters...SD is not going to "pop up" just 'cuz you installed it.
SD is a VSTi...if you don't know what that means, it means it's a VST instrument.
So you need go to your Effects menu where your plugs/VST stuff is, and some where in that same general area you should have the option to load VSTi stuff.
If you are there and you don't see any reference to Superior Drummer...you need to maybe have your DAW re-scan for new plugs and stuff.
When you installed SD...you had some options as to where it would install....and that's where you want your DAW to scan.

Some DAWs want all that stuff in the same location...which means during installation, you have to change the path so that it goes where your DAW needs to have it.

Once you get all that sorted out...SD will launch just fine...and then on first opening, it will ask for the authentication codes.

First off....change your attitude.
There's nothing wrong with Superior Drummer, it's one of the top drum apps...a lot of us use it, and it installs and works flawlessly.

In his defense, One man's treasure is another's trash. A lot of people swear by Adobe, but I'm still gonna claim that all of their software is garbage ("swear AT Adobe" as it were). It's possible that something about SD will just always rub this guy the wrong way, or it just won't work on his compy.

That being said, Miro's advice is sound here Gareth. Open your DAW and scan for new plugins.

In his defense, One man's treasure is another's trash.

True...but you're talking about the actual use of the products.
He hasn't even gotten to that stage, yet calling it shit and being all pissed off about the whole thing because he wasn't getting instant satisfaction from Toontrack. :)

I've emailed them a bunch of times...they are based in Europe, I think Germany maybe (?)...so there is that time zone thing, and it's the holiday season, lots of people buying and trying, so I'm sure they are backlogged a bit.
Anyway...they ALWAYS responded to my emails...plus there is the user forum, and people post their issues there and the tech people respond.

I'm still convinced it's just a user installation thing...knowing where to put stuff and getting your DAW to recognize it...and if you never used a VSTi...you might be expecting something different.

Anyway...I don't expect to see him back here...he was probably Googling "Superior Drummer", came across this thread, made his post and left. I wouldn't be surprised that by now he's got it all sorted out as is happily checking out the SD drum kits. :thumbs up:

Customer service is just going to be slow this time of year. Just is.

That said the process is generally pretty straight forward.

A suggestion:

Install toontrack solo (free, it's for running ez drummer and superior in stand alone mode) and open superior there. It makes authorizing it easier (IMO) than doing it through your daw. Plus if you get it working in solo then you know it's an issue with your DAW not the plugin.

Anyway...I don't expect to see him back here...he was probably Googling "Superior Drummer", came across this thread, made his post and left. I wouldn't be surprised that by now he's got it all sorted out as is happily checking out the SD drum kits. :thumbs up:

Oh. I hadn't noticed that Gareth wasn't the OP. (Man! People without avatars!)

I'd say that installation/configuration is part of the process of what makes software work for you or not. If he doesn't "get" the idea of VSTis, SD is never going to make sense to him. Granted, neither are any of the other standard solutions for e-drums, but maybe he'll find some other solution?

Some people are always going to prefer Audacity to pro-tools/reaper/whatever. Some people will always prefer notepad to Word.

"Do you really think that a torrent (stolen/hacked) copy is going to give you any idea of how 'paid' software is going to work?"

Uhh, YES it absolutely WILL,... because its the SAME fucking product?!
Its like expecting a borrowed newspaper to have different information in it because it wasn't 'paid' for.

LOVE the sanctimonious attitude toward torrenting too btw.

Its not 'stealing',... because stealing,... by definition infers that you have deprived someone of their property,.. downloading makes a COPY of said property.
Theft of intellectual property also relies on the conclusion that the downloaded property WOULD have been purchased in place of the download, which is more than usually NOT the case.

Your argument dictates that ONLY rich people should have access to art, when art itself is nebulous and fundamentally without price.
Art belongs to the world.

I've downloaded Reaper/Superior Drummer + all the plug-ins under the sun.
In fact,... later on tonight, i'll be downloading your wife and installing Superior Lover.

Just registered to say that, you can ban me now.
Love You XXX

It was just on sale for $99. I know people can be cheap fucks but seriously, find another hobby if that's too steep for you.

People will spend that much on a special edition video game without batting an eye, but somehow software to make music with is to much. lol WTF

Back