My first try - please comment

paparoof

Howdy y'all.

I'm another "Not-a-Drummer". Just an under-achieving bass player trying to entertain myself in the basement. 10% of what I know about home recording comes from flailing with Fostex 4-track cassette machines and Radio Shack mics back in the early 1990's. The other 90% comes from lurking this site for the last few months.

The setup as of this evening:
Kick - Beta 52 > behringer board > saffire pro 14 (1/4" in)
Snare - 57 > behringer board > saffire pro 14 (1/4" in)
Overheads - Samson co2's > saffire pro 14 (XLR in)

The overheads are closer to glyn johns than recorderman, each is 35" from center of the snare (and from each other too).

I've never even tried to tune a drum until now. So far I've attempted to tune the snare and kick based on the Evans website tutorials, haven't touched the toms yet. I'm afraid I tuned the snare too high. The only muffling on the snare is a small bit of t-shirt on top.

The kick drum still sounds a little fwappy to me but I have no muffling inside it yet. Batter head is an EMAD onyx with the small foam ring in place on the outside. I'm not convinced this is the head for me. I'll decide after I hear it with a pillow inside. Also, the arm on the mic stand isn't long enough to get the mic any closer to the batterhead than about 12". I spose I could just take the reso head off to get the mic closer, but I want some resonance - I don't want a totally dead thud. I also prefer the look of the front head with the offset hole. So - pillow and new mic stand?

This is not a song - I'm just trying to get a good basic drum sound to use as a starting point. There's no EQ on anything yet.

Understanding that you have no context because I've not defined any style or other instruments yet, is there anything you can suggest at this point? What would you change?

Attachments

• beta52_test.mp3
    451.1 KB · Views: 16
Back