My band finally has a drummer!...

It sounds pretty darn good to me Steve. I didn't have a problem with the recording at all. I wondered what the hatstoms track was supposed to do. Is that a room mic?

Thanks, Robus
I got lazy exporting files. Since the signal was so low (and noise floor so high) on each, I just combined the two tom and one hat channels.

Hmm, it seems to be picking up your room more than anything else. I tried the mix with and without that track. It does give a little roundness to the toms, so I preferred it in.

Anyway, here's what I've got:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzqJIqBR8uJeN0VOSnlDS3lHWDA/view?usp=sharing

One issue I noticed is the balance between cymbals and toms in your overhead pair. Cymbals are a bit OTT, which forced me to turn down the overhead track resulting in some loss in the toms. I liked the snare. Everybody's taste seems to be different when it comes to snares. Kick drum too is a matter of taste. You've got a fairly thuddy kick without much body to it, but as to whether it works that totally depends on the overall arrangement. Also what kind of bass you're using.

Maybe ibleedburgundy will chime in. I don't know shit about recording drums. But I have been doing a lot of mixing them over the last year and have formed some definite ideas about what I like the hear in the raw tracks. Going forward, you probably want more independent control over your toms and hats. But bottom line, if I liked the performance I could totally make this work in the mixes I do.

Last edited:
Hi hat separation is an issue that IBB and I have struggled with too. Though it sounds like our problem was the opposite, too much hi hat in the snare and overheads. I think Dave changed the placement of the snare mic so it's pointing away from the high hat. He could tell you. He might have some thoughts on how you could reduce the snare in the hi hat mic, which seems to be your trouble.

Back