Micophone clamps for drums

pdpdrummer989

Hello!.
Not sure if posting in right place but hoping I can get some assistance! I am looking to "clean up" the footprint of the drums in my studio by getting rid of my big boom stands for my overheads (when I record I will use them but just for practice with my band I need to make more room). I have seen a lot of stuff where live drummers use (what look like) LP Drum Microphone Clamps to attach to the hi hate and other cymbal stands to hold the LDC mics. Does anyone do this or know if this is the correct type to attach to the stands? I play a smaller kit with 2 crashes, hi hat, ride and one china cymbal the ride/china are on one boom stand with the crash directly over it and the other side the hats and crash are right next to eachother. I run the mics into my mixer and into my IEM so I don't go deaf in our jam space.

You use IEMs for band practice? Fancy. You could use mic clamps on your hats and stuff. Sure, why not? You will lose "overheads" but is that really a big deal just for jamming?

I got a set of small, but really sturdy/adjustable clamps (I think they are/were made by AKG?)...and I also have a few of the generic "pinch" clamps....
...but for recording, I don't ever use them, as I prefer the stands.

For jamming, like Greg said, does it really matter if you don't have OH mics...?...but clamps are not ideal for recording because they will pick up a lot of extra noise and transmit to the mics when you attach them to rims and cymbal stands.

Heck...even for jamming...a pair of OH mics on stands, and one on snare and one on kick shouldn't be that much in the way for you...?...unless you have mics on every single drum.

I think it's kind of hilarious and a little awesome that people have fully mic'd and in-ear-monitored band practices.

so the rehearsal space is really small and the stands get in the way as in when we get into the space I have to move the stands in order for people to walk in and move gear and its a pain. I wear the IEM when we practice because everything is mic'ed up including guitar cabs and bass guitar so I can get a good mix in my ears and not go deaf in such a small place! I use the overheads because if we write something I can just record it (the mixer I use is a Fostex VF160) and then email it out to the guys so we can work on the music outside of practice as well. I was just looking for something to lower the footprint of space I am taking up, my kick mic is internally mounted with the Kelley SHU system and my snare and two toms have just generic microphone rim clips on them.

so the rehearsal space is really small and the stands get in the way as in when we get into the space I have to move the stands in order for people to walk in and move gear and its a pain. I wear the IEM when we practice because everything is mic'ed up including guitar cabs and bass guitar so I can get a good mix in my ears and not go deaf in such a small place! I use the overheads because if we write something I can just record it (the mixer I use is a Fostex VF160) and then email it out to the guys so we can work on the music outside of practice as well. I was just looking for something to lower the footprint of space I am taking up, my kick mic is internally mounted with the Kelley SHU system and my snare and two toms have just generic microphone rim clips on them.

All that's fine man. No judgement.

Consider using a different recording method where you need no mics at all. If it's just for capturing idea and demo purposes, use one of those field stereo recorders. Simple, cheap, effective, and no mics anywhere.

I record all of my band practices with a Tascam DR-05. If your band's sound is balanced, like it should be, it records just fine.

I have a mixture of stands and other bits to keep clutter down. The tom mounts I had sucked so I kept stands for those. I have my overheads mounted right on the ceiling with mini extendable booms and then my snare mic is attached to my high hat stand with a boom cymbal stand clamp and a gooseneck attached to that instead of the boom part.

For the overheads, get an stereo bar and put both mics on a single stand. Put the stand behind the drums and boom it forward. You might need to sandbag the base, depending on how heavy the mics are and how far they are boomed out. XY overheads aren't as wide sounding as spaced pair, but they do have a solid center.

The last band I was in, I practiced with iem's. But that was mainly because of the click track and fly in parts. It is really nice to hear everything clearly at a more comfortable volume. And they are more comfortable than ear plugs.

Back