making the bass drum sound like pantera

you mean vinnie's kick. Use beaters made of plastic(no felt) and get these metal or plastic beater pads for the bass drum. I think Danmar makes them. there like $5 each. they will give you that clicky sound that will cut threw the guitars. And dont over clutter the inside of the bass drum. I like the the DW beaters.

This is from Terry Date himself (Pantera, Prong.. etc)

Terry Date: On drums, I will use ambient miking. My drum miking is pretty standard. With the snare, I tend to use a [Shure SM] 57 on the top head only, in a position where I can get as much rejection of the hi-hat as possible. For the kick drum I use an Audio Technica ATM25. Usually we use two heads on the kick drum. Sometimes, if I want a tighter sound, I'll take the front head off. But I almost always quilt the kick drum pretty heavily. I'll make a little tunnel with the packing blanket so I can keep as much of the high-end cymbal stuff out of the kick drum as I can. So if I want to add high end to the kick drum with EQ, I'm not bringing up high-end stuff from the rest of the drums. And if you quilt the outside shell of a kick drum really heavily - right underneath the rack toms - the kick drum mic won't pick up as much of that rattle and hum that you always get with big rack toms. So if I make a tunnel out of the quilt, the front head has room to breathe, but I can keep out other sounds so I might not have to gate the kick drum. Then I can control the sound of that with EQ and compression a little bit more.

And then I usually use a Sennheiser 409 on each tom. It's a square lollipop-looking mic that they don't make anymore. But I'll put those up strictly because they fit so well underneath the cymbals. You can get them right on the tom head and keep your cymbal bleed out of the way a li

ttle bit. And for the hi-hat I'll run a [Neumann] KM 84, or sometimes a '57.

Then for overheads, I'll kind of see what's left. But I'll typically end up with 67s or 87s - some kind of Neumann tube mic. I'll just put a stereo configuration up over the whole drum set and make sure I get all the cymbals.

..... where did you find that? The "tunnel" thing was something I was thinking about doing, now I definitely think I shall.

Hey guy, what i do, is i use the new evans bass head with the built on muffling system, and i put a beater pad, and i glue quarters to the head where the beater hits(it works heh) my problem is, i get a good live sound, but i want to know what frequecys to work with when its on disk. i like the clickyness of it all but i still want a fat warm tone out of it. whatshould i do???

Okay,

Here we go:

Get the following:

1 Pinstripe.
1 Ambassador.

1 pair of Remo "Muff'ls" for the kick heads.

1 Danmar "HARD ROCK" Mallet Disc for each Mallet.

Tune the Kick heads with your FINGERS.
Do not use a key.
Only Tighten the heads as tight as you can get them with your fingers.

Try that on for size.

Tim

Okay,

Here we go:

Get the following:

1 Pinstripe.
1 Ambassador.

1 pair of Remo "Muff'ls" for the kick heads.

1 Danmar "HARD ROCK" Mallet Disc for each Mallet.

Tune the Kick heads with your FINGERS.
Do not use a key.
Only Tighten the heads as tight as you can get them with your fingers.

Try that on for size.

Tim

Back