Looking for a new snare.

R

RAMI

I need a new snare. I want a versatile, good rock snare.

Anyone know anything about Mapex drums? I know I can't go wrong with a Ludwig Supraphonic, but I saw this deal on a Mapex:

Snare Mapex Black Panther Brass 14" | percussions | Laval / Rive-Nord | Kijiji

Is that a better deal than this?:

Ludwig Supraphonic Snare Drum Model 400 Near Mint Free Shipping Lower 48 | eBay

I should know this shit. I worked at a big music store for about 6 years, in the drum shop. But that was so long ago, I've lost touch and forgotten what's good and what ain't.

I'm probably going to buy a snare this week some time. Just need help deciding on these 2.

Rami, I have both of those snares! My Supraphonic is the 6.5" deep version though. That one appears to be 5 maybe? Either way, it's awesome.

They're both very nice. The Supra is legendary, can't go wrong. The Black Panther Brass is clear and bright and has a great metallic pop to it.

From what I know of your sound, I think that Black Panther would suit you really well. It's a good snare for tight tuning and clear articulation. Put some 30-strands on it and you will be more sensitive than a bunch of gays at a puppy shelter.

For me, the Supraphonic pretty much never leaves my snare stand. It's my main gigging/recording snare.

From what I know of your sound, I think that Black Panther would suit you really well. It's a good snare for tight tuning and clear articulation. Put some 30-strands on it and you will be more sensitive than a bunch of gays at a puppy shelter.
:laughings:

Actually, that might be the reason I wouldn't want it. Since I already have a snare that gives me that high-tuned sound, I think I want something that would be deeper in sound, rather than another poppy snare. I think that ideally, I should be looking for a 6.5", whether it's a Supraphonic or anything else.

I still want that pop, but I'd love to have a little more fullness.

It's hard to tell the by the picture. Is the Mapex a 5" or 6.5"?

The lugs are pretty close together so I'd bet it's a 5.5".

Supraphonics have the benefit of sounding deep regardless of its size. Listen to Back in Black. That's a 5" Supra. Sounds huge.

Listen to Back in Black. That's a 5" Supra. Sounds huge.

That's a 5"???? Man, that's sort of the sound I had in mind when I visualized the type of generic rock sounding snare I wanted. Awesome, man.

Wow! That really influences my decision.

Yup I'm pretty sure Phil Rudd mostly used 5" Supraphonics. But honestly either one is THE sound of rock snare. IMO they are the best snares ever. I have four snare drums and my Supra is the only one that sees any meaningful action.

Yup I'm pretty sure Phil Rudd mostly used 5" Supraphonics. But honestly either one is THE sound of rock snare. IMO they are the best snares ever. I have four snare drums and my Supra is the only one that sees any meaningful action.

Yeah, that's the thing. I want something as different from what I already have as possible. Not because I don't like the sound of my snare, it sounds great. But it's a little limited in which songs it belongs in. So, if I'm going to get another snare, I want it to be as different as possible from that snare. That's why I was leaning towards a 6.5". But I'm sure a good 5" would be fine.

Are the ones made in the 90's as good as the ones made in the 60's and 70's? Is there anything I should stay away from?

The 60s Supras were COB - chrome over brass. Sometime in the 70s, I think, Ludwig switched to an aluminum based alloy called Ludalloy. All modern Supras are Ludalloy and that ain't a bad thing. They're fucking awesome.

Cool, Greg. Thanx a lot.

You recommend putting a 30-strand snare wire under whatever I get?

OK, that's what I thought. Cool.

Before I buy another snare, I'm going to see what I can get out of the metal Sonar snare I have on my other kit. It's never even crossed me mind to record with it because it sounds so-so. But I've never really put a lot of effort into putting good skins on it and tuning it up. Maybe it will surprise me, who knows. I just got a bug right now. I want a new toy or two. I'll try to control myself. :D

Are you going to finish your current album with the old snare?
I'm not really sure if I'm doing an album. Since my last CD< I have enough material for 2 CD's, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

This morning I went out and bought new skins and out them on my other snare, the Sonar that I never recorded with. I did the drums for 2 songs this morning, but I'm not sure if I like it yet. I have to let my ears adjust because right now, anything different than what I got used to over the last 10+ years sounds really weird to me.

I'm not really sure if I'm doing an album. Since my last CD< I have enough material for 2 CD's, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

This morning I went out and bought new skins and out them on my other snare, the Sonar that I never recorded with. I did the drums for 2 songs this morning, but I'm not sure if I like it yet. I have to let my ears adjust because right now, anything different than what I got used to over the last 10+ years sounds really weird to me.

I know that feeling. Probably just two different kinds of good.
Put them both in the clinic?

Lol. Rami, my man, don't let these sims and samples plebeians influence you in any way.
Hehe...I don't trust anyone ears here more than yours. But the Schwarz is good. But I'm doing the new snare thing for myself, nobody else.

I know that feeling. Probably just two different kinds of good.
Put them both in the clinic?

I want to, but people keep bumping one of my tunes to the top. I don't like having too many songs active in the Clinic at the same time. Mayne I'll just post a small sample here in this thread, since it's about the drums right now anyway.

Back