Looking alternatives to the Zoom

dmytrel

Hey all,

Sometimes I step into the studio ready to make a tune, but I get hung up - I need a drumbeat first, and while I like my drum machine, not being able to make a good beat can stimey the whole recording process. I end up trying for a few parts, and sometimes just give up if I can't make a good one in an hour or two. I feel that if i had a good PC program that let me visualize the beats, I'd be a bit better off and more motivated to record.

I guess for me, making drumbeats on the Zoom gets a little bit frustrating, trying to hit the syncopated beat where I want it, and sometimes messing up the whole thing.

Can anyone recommend a good PC program that lets you place the beats where you want a bit more easily? Free, of course, would be ideal, or at least not very expensive. Panning is a must, and quality sounds.

Any ideas?

Something I have started doing before I get any drum pattern (I use Superior Drummer, but EZ will work, not free). I first get my BPM set, until just by the metronome it grooves. Then I start to look for a MIDI groove pattern that gives me the feel. Once those are working in my head, and it sounds like you know this, the rest begins to fall into place.

While it may still be your machine, you may be struggling with getting your BPM set first, then finding a pattern.

Hope this helped.

Thanks guys. I tried a few, but couldn't find what I really wanted. Then I came across Hydrogen. Hydrogen is sweet, and there's a bunch of people-made drumkits. It doesn't seem to have the same quality of the zoom, but you can pan, and I think if I find the right user-made kit I'm in business!

Thanks for the resources!

Back