Kick drum seems to be lagging on final mix

Joel76

I have this problem with the sound of the kick drum sounding like it is slow while mixing a song. I am playing right on the click track as I record and it sounds ok in the headphones.

I know low frequencys supposedly have different characteristics as far as speed of travel and so on.....is it normal for the bass drum to seemingly trail the rest of the song several milli-seconds?

My recorder has a slip track and I speeded the kick drum up just a bit and it does sound better. Maybe I am just a lousy drummer?

if you say you're on the click, you're hardly a lousy drummer.
playing to a click track is hard.
does this happen when you play the drums soloed?
didn't you accidentally put a delay on the kick track?;)
what mic configuration are you using?

adriano

Sometimes a part fits better if its actually rushed a little bit. If it sounds better with it moved forward than great.

Beware that software plug ins can cause a delay. If you are using a compression plug in on your DAW this could be a cause.

Same Problem

I have the exact same problem. I read somewhere(?) that it could be either an EQ problem or a compression problem or both. I have yet to fix the problem on my mixes. If you have any luck and find a solution please post your results.

TexRoadkill said:
Sometimes a part fits better if its actually rushed a little bit. If it sounds better with it moved forward than great.

Beware that software plug ins can cause a delay. If you are using a compression plug in on your DAW this could be a cause.

Yep. Been there....Move/paste that sucker if need be.

The last time I was in a *real* studio the engineer told us to come in knowing tempos so we wouldn't waste too much time. We did, and after we got set up, he pushed it up four beats a minute. The thing is, if the drums aren't right there pushing the beat, it seems slow. In a live situation, the drums lead. In a studio, the click track leads. One thing to pay attention to is the feel of the music. We ended up ditching the click after the drummer lost the beat about 1 minute in, and it sounded great.
YMMV

Pete

I am miking the kick drum about 4 inches from the beater.

I tried playing to the guitar track instead of the click, but basically got the same problem.

I may just end up cutting and moving the track.

Back