Keller Shells - Conaway Drums

ad0lescnts

hello,
As you may know, i got a drum set from Conaway drums in texas. They sound pretty good so far... I put new heads on them but i dont like the heads and am gonna get some different ones.

I have a question - I got the Keller birch shells, but these drums are SUPER light. Probably the lightest drums I've ever picked up. Are keller shells supposed to be this light? I'm just thinking about this whole "keller" thing and what it all REALLY means, or even if they are keller.

So heres some information on the Conaway drums that I wish i would have had before purchasing them.
PROS: 1. The drums LOOK amazing. The finish is incredible and they're a really nice looking set of drums. I haven't seen any that look nicer. Here is a picture of the snare on his site: http://www.conawaydrums.com/images/birchsn1.jpg
I heard people complain about inconsistant stains, etc. but there is really no problem there.
2. They sound really good too. I like the heads that i have on the snare and the kick drums and have gotten them sounding really good. They're probably the best sounding drums I've played, but I haven't played an extensive amount of kits.
3. It's custom-thats awesome
4. He updates you thru email on what he's done so far and sends pictures.
CONS: 1. The hardware is trash. The rims are OK... just standard rims, but they're just a step down from my starclassic. The rack tom mounts use WorldMax drum support system which isnt that bad, but the actual parts that attach to the stands are garbage (same with the parts that attach to the floor tom legs). This is an easy fix, but they still suck nonetheless. The lugs are also pretty cheap, but they dont seem to effect the sound at all.
2. The workmanship isn't PERFECT on all the lugs and everything (you can see how some are drilled slightly crooked) but this seems to be normal and not noticable unless your'e looking for it. I found the same problem on a friend's custom kit from a different company, and on a custom ludwig jazz set at my school. It doesnt effect the sound or tunability of the drums.
3. He took a while longer to make them than he said, and he had them completed for a week before he shipped them...

-it's a good kit for a killer price, i'll post some samples as soon as i get them sounding how i want. Get back to me on the Keller shell ordeal?

T

That snare looks awesome.

I was considering getting a snare from this company. Hmm. I wanted to get a nice vented snare.

Back