I'm a sound aficionado, but can't tell what this SNARE might be! "Jet" McCartney 1973

MusicalSound

I'm a sound aficionado, but can't tell what this SNARE might be! "Jet" McCartney 1973

This song is called Jet by McCartney and I was just wondering, what the hell kind of snare sounds like THAT? I realize everyone gets flamed for this ....."make your OWN sound man" but that's not the point. I'm not trying to copy that sound, I just thought I knew my snares! I have a 60s steel, a 70s aluminum supra, and a 60s wood, and based around all of those snares I have I'm drawing a blank at what could make such a funny sound? Muffling isn't what seems to do it, as I muffle all the time and still never have stumbled upon this sound! I really hope someone has some insight: MP3

I found a picture of McCartney recording drums for Band On The Run. He's playing keystone badge Ludwigs. Maybe a Supra that hasn't been tuned in years with a couple of maxi pads duct taped to it. Could be anything. Muffle a drum to death and they all sound the same.

I must ask why? You could get a sound like that by miking a damp paper bag hit with a stick and sampling it.

I agree with bongo, that is a shitty sounding snare that is out of tune from what I hear. It does work for the song and may work for what you want.

Stop trying to tune your drums and go for the paper bag sound. Did I just say that? sigh...

Yeah, I think I have a cardboard box that sounds pretty much like that snare when you hit it in the right spot...Trust me, I've experimented with all sorts of things to make different drum sounds (including cardboard boxes, explosions, gunfire, plastic trash cans, etc. etc.) Make the sound that fits the music. Percussion is not always about a great kit tuned great, and I think Sir Paul has demonstrated that here.

I found a picture of McCartney recording drums for Band On The Run. He's playing keystone badge Ludwigs. Maybe a Supra that hasn't been tuned in years with a couple of maxi pads duct taped to it. Could be anything. Muffle a drum to death and they all sound the same.

Oh my god I'd love to see that picture. What was the snare made out of though? Wood? or do you mean like an aluminum supra?

I'm surprised more aren't finding this sound as unique as I am. perhaps my garage is too live. I'd really love a dry dull room like they had back then, that's how you get the cleanest sound

I found the picture by doing a search for "Band on the Run drums". Doesn't show the snare. If you close mic a snare it pretty much takes the room out of the picture. Take whatever snare is close at hand ( a deep, thick wood shell would probably be best), tape a maxi pad or two to it, and slap a 57 on it an inch or two above the head pointed toward the center a bit. That should get you going in the right direction. It is a unique sound, and it works for the song, but I don't think there's any magic in it. What's in your garage besides drums and a Toyota?

Agree, those Toyotas can really fuck up your room.

Try covering the Toyota with Maxi-pads.

I'm surprised more aren't finding this sound as unique as I am. perhaps my garage is too live. I'd really love a dry dull room like they had back then, that's how you get the cleanest sound

I am not myself because it does not have a 'nice' sound in my opinion. Unique, maybe because it is a crappy sound on a song that obviously has real recognition.

That does not mean that I would try to duplicate it.

If you truly want to get the sound that you hear from these records, get the f**k out of your garage...

And a dry/dull room is not exactly what they had. But it also was not a garage either...

Back