I need some help for my drummer

I would suggest having her practice to commercial recordings. Thats how I was taught when I was a kid... my instructor would have me play to some blues/jazz/bigband record and then write out a line of the basic rhythm for syncopation.

I guess I don't get it. Why does a "church" need a band with thousands of dollars in PA equipment, multi media presentation, a bunch of people playing expensive stuff, in order to "praise the Lord"? I don't think God cares about the 32 channel board and live HD video feed. I think He may call them charlatans. What ever happened to the congregation singing something they believed in as opposed to a Las Vegas floor show meant to make people feel better about making a contribution to the "church" ?
No church really needs that kind of stuff. However, the Bible calls for us to give God our best. If you're a performer in a church band, it means you should play the best you can. And the church itself should have whatever equipment best facilitates everyone's worship. Usually this means a PA so everyone can hear the song and an overhead projector so they can know the words to participate.
I can't think of anything to suggest except practice together a lot.

Yup. Practice makes perfect.

No church really needs that kind of stuff. However, the Bible calls for us to give God our best. If you're a performer in a church band, it means you should play the best you can. And the church itself should have whatever equipment best facilitates everyone's worship. Usually this means a PA so everyone can hear the song and an overhead projector so they can know the words to participate.

For me it would mean lava lamps, quad sound, and replace all the pews with bean bag chairs.

also a significant number of church musicians are former band musicians who have given up playing in bars for church. But they still want to approach the playing and gear like a band would so they want good gear so they can sound good.

Funny. If you haven't attended our church for at least a year, you will not be in the praise team. Rule, in writing, from our pastor.
One problem you may be having, considering all that I read in your posts: A rock drummer (especially inexperienced) is used to playing REALLY hard to keep up with loud amp stacks. You put that same drummer in a quiet, intimate worship service and it's a whole new dynamic.
Anyway, There are a lot of good suggestions going on here. Click track (at least during practice) and a lot of practice being the first. Nothing builds skill and confidence like participation. Another, that helped me out a lot, was the suggestion to keep the hi-hat tapping when you fill.
I'm certainly no great drummer, but I can keep asteady beat and throw in a lot of cymbal (I know some out there hate that bit) to fill in the sound (Psalms 150:5) because there's usually only drums/keys, or drums/keys/bass.
Having a full sound is a lot more important than having a good fill. :D

What I do is sing the song in my head as I play. It really helps me pick and choose what to hit and how and gives my play a musical feel. (I've played in church bands both paid and volunteer; e-drums and acoustic set.)
Rod Norman
Engineer

Wait... what? Rock bands play in church? The electric guitar is the most blasphemous instrument in the history of music. Drums are tribal and sexual and engender uncomfortably pleasurable feelings in the genitalia.

Churches should stick to wheezy harmoniums and other sucky instruments that befit their mediaeval superstitions.

I've been playing with a drummer in church for about a year now. She is a decent drummer, but her playing lacks feeling. Any transitions or changes in timing become very difficult. Most fills come out awkward. She had played in rock bands for a little while previously. One of the concerns when playing in church is that people will complain that it's too loud. I don't know if she is afraid that people will complain.
I am not a drummer. So I am asking advice from some of you drummers on how I can encourage her to play more from the feel of the music. Less brain, more gut. Any suggestions?

1) Remove all things except a kick, snare, hi hat, and crash cymbal. In church, you can ride on a crash because you're not fucking slamming it, okay?
2) There are no drum fills anymore. Maybe she can have a flying brick, but not if it causes her to choke. She has everything she needs to groove and play dynamic and exciting parts. If she's motivated, she'll do well.
3) If she's too loud, give her the dreaded Bundled Rods That Purport to Be Drum Sticks But Do Not Behave Like Drum Sticks.

Back