How should i setup my drums??

msblaze

i have 2 kits a 6pc Remo set & a 5pc PDP set, i'm am trying to run a true double bass setup, but i don't have the tom mounts for the remo so i only have 5 toms, 10 12,13,16,16 how should i position them and my cymbals for the best result before i buy the hardware i need?

I play a 7 piece set with 5 toms (8/10/12/14/16). What I did was set the 10/12/16 up just like a 5 piece kit. 10 & 12 on the bass, then the 16 in the traditional floor tom position.

After that, I placed the 8 to the left of the 10, and the 14 to the left of my hi-hat (ala Dave Weckl). It's just like playing a 5 piece kit (comfortable), but with more options.

Just an idea, but it all depends on how you play. Spend a weekend doing nothing but different setups. Set the kit up, then play for 20 minutes to an hour & make small adjustments. Before you know it, you'll either have a comfortable setup, or you'll at least have some direction for what WON'T work, and you can go from there.

If i had your setup, I'd probably center the 10/12/13 toms over the 2 bass drums. The 2 16's, I'd put right/left like mine are, or both to the right if that's what you're comfortable with.

6 toms

I have a 6 tom setup with one bass . 12 and 13 mounted on bass as far to the right as possible . 8 and 10 on a stand running on a slant back from the 12 so the 8 is actually under the HH cymbal. 16 and 18 on the right side floor .

See the attached diagram I made at the DW set builder site !!! :rolleyes:

Attachments

• untitled 3 5 1  3.JPG
    untitled 3 5 1 3.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Back