View Poll Results: How many tracks do you use to record your drums?

Voters
458. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2 Tracks?

39 8.52%
  • 3 Tracks?

50 10.92%
  • 5 Tracks?

67 14.63%
  • More than 5?

302 65.94%
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20

Thread: How many tracks do you use to record drums?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by RAMI View Post
    There are so many un-expected challenges when it comes to recording drums that you'll be pulling out enough of your hair just dealing with 4 mics at the beginning. If only it was as easy as throwing a mic on each drum and pressing RECORD.
    Ive found this out the hard way, i jumped in head first and i was wayy over my head, i think im gonna cut back to 4 mics and learn from there cause ive gotten so frustrated ive considered giving up recording drums all together. but i think im gonna cut down the amounht of mics i use and hope that i can handle it all a bit better
    Everyone is quick to judge until they're the ones being judged.

Thanks
    Even with using the "recorderman" method, I still wind up with nine to twelve mics. I say the more the merrier, you can always mute the track later.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coolsoundman View Post
    How many tracks(channels) do you use to record drums and still a very good decent sound?
    Ok this is the first time I ever posted what I think is some of my best drum solo'ing that I ever captured on tape.This is early 2000s when I still had a pretty good size studio before I went thru a divorce. I had a lot of recording equipment even then, but decided to prove that I could get a great recording of this big kit I had put together..... with only 4 mics and my Tascam 424.This is one of 5 short solos, think I mixed it straight to a CD recorder with very little processing. Please let me know what ya'll think and then I will see if I will post the other 4 short solos.....thanks and happy listening !!!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TASCAM MAN View Post
    Ok this is the first time I ever posted what I think is some of my best drum solo'ing that I ever captured on tape.This is early 2000s when I still had a pretty good size studio before I went thru a divorce. I had a lot of recording equipment even then, but decided to prove that I could get a great recording of this big kit I had put together..... with only 4 mics and my Tascam 424.This is one of 5 short solos, think I mixed it straight to a CD recorder with very little processing. Please let me know what ya'll think and then I will see if I will post the other 4 short solos.....thanks and happy listening !!!
    This recording I made here (above) using 4 mics and 4 TKS were just done like that at that time, I don't never use a certain amount of mics are TKS the same way hardly ever.....just saying

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TASCAM MAN View Post
    This recording I made here (above) using 4 mics and 4 TKS were just done like that at that time, I don't never use a certain amount of mics are TKS the same way hardly ever.....just saying
    I know think what I you are saying, think I... wut???

I'm not an expert, but I listened to it and it sounds pretty impressive to me.
    [QUOTE=Chater-La]As for the tone thread. It is epic. [/QUOTE]

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Telegram Sam View Post
    I know think what I you are saying, think I... wut???

I'm not an expert, but I listened to it and it sounds pretty impressive to me.
    I appreciate that Telegram Sam

Thanks
    When Hal Blaine was recorded on one session, they used over twenty mics. (he had a set of rack toms all over the place) I've done sets with only two, an overhead small diaphragm condenser and a Bass Drum mic. Other times I used between six and about ten. The rule I use is this. The Bass drum and overhead first; then stereo overheads, then a snare mic, then a hi-hat condenser; then toms; then ride; then room stereo mics; then a PZM (pressure zone mic) taped to the drummer's chest. This runs from 2 to 13. It depends on how much control you want and how much control the drummer exercises while playing. I was often asked to hit really really hard so they could turn the mic inputs down and control bleed between the mics. That gave them more control on mixing. Now for live I use two mic set-ups. The overhead condenser seems to pick up the snare just fine. I control the dynamics. So that's how I treat recording other drummers. If they hit really hard, I close mic with more mics. If they have really good dynamic control, I feel I can use two or three. There is no right or wrong way. Everyone has their own solution. Sometimes it depends on how many mics and inputs you have open on a location recording. I hope that helps.
    Rod Norman
    Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by coolsoundman View Post
    How many tracks(channels) do you use to record drums and still a very good decent sound?
    Retired engineer. Any advice that works is good advice.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Norman View Post
    The rule I use is this. The Bass drum and overhead first; then stereo overheads, then a snare mic, then a hi-hat condenser; then toms; then ride; then room stereo mics; then a PZM (pressure zone mic) taped to the drummer's chest. This runs from 2 to 13.
    SCOIDH
    (Sound Clips Or It Didn't Happen)

Thanks
    Not sure how this got bumped, but I'm up to quite a few tracks for drums these days.

Kick port
    Kick subkick
    Snare top
    Snare bottom
    Rack tom 1
    Rack tom 2
    Floor tom 1
    Floor tom 2
    High Hat
    OH L
    OH R
    Room L