how to get that loud,low-end,kick drum click sound step by step right here

wjgypsy

1. get a acqurian super kick 1 bass drum head and put it on the back of your kick drum.

2.get a plan remo kick drum head and put a remo muffling ring on it and put it on the front of you kick drum.

3.do not put any pillows or junk in your kick!!!!!

4.cut a 5-7" hole on the front kick drum head down to the right at about 4-5:00.

5.take a sheet of foam about 3 by 2 feet long and roll it up into
a tunnel.

6. take a shure beta 52 mic or your kick drum mic and put it in the
middle of the tunnel. no stands needed!!!!!

7.place the tunnel along with the mic that is now on the inside and place it right in the center of the kick drum at about 5-7" away from the back head.

8. tune both heads down to where thay just almost wrickle.

9. back at the mixing board, cut all the low's on the kick drum
channel only.

10. turn the gain up on the kick drum channel just to where it does not distort.(cuting the low end like i said to do will let you get the gain up higher without distortion.

11. record.

12. when done recording go to the kick drum track and cut 2-8
in the low's.

13. add a nice room revurb to add color to your sound.

14. enjoy!

note: this tech tip was tested with a dw/pacific cx-series drum set, a acqurian "super kick 1" drum head, a plan remo drum head,
a remo kick drum muffling ring, shure beta 52 mic,a fostex vf-16
16-track recorder(we recorded it direct record mode on the vf-16)

no compression was needed to do this.

thanks to:

ryan ray,long wave studio,ben bee and all the people at
home recording.com

thanks!!!!

zeke sayer and ryan ray

Glad you got what your looking for. Seems to me your jumping threw a lot of uneccessary hoops. I have seen something close to this technique before (creating a 'tunnel' with a heavy blanket in front of the bass drum), but a properly tuned kit, along with appropriate EQ settings would have gotten you there sooner.

This may be all well and good in the studio, but what are you going to do if and when you play out?

fenix said:
cut the low end? huh? what is wrong with you people?

What is the point of this post and the other useless remarks you've made on this morning...

If you don't agree with what people are saying... post your "theory", and some samples.....

Everyones a fucking genius.......I love when you geniuses post little one sentence remarks rather than a proper argument including the reasons you dissagree... :rolleyes:

Hey now, all I'm sayin is it seems like an awful lot of bass is being cut to have a solid low end. I'm not saying it's wrong or right, I'd just like some clarification on how a good thick kick sound can be acquired with so much bass being cut out.

elevate said:
Hey now, all I'm sayin is it seems like an awful lot of bass is being cut to have a solid low end. I'm not saying it's wrong or right, I'd just like some clarification on how a good thick kick sound can be acquired with so much bass being cut out.

I was refering to Fenix's post... Yours was more of a formal inquirey, and I have no problems with that:)

Ok, just makin sure. It sounded like I fit the "you geniuses post little one sentence remarks."

VOXVENDOR said:

What is the point of this post and the other useless remarks you've made on this morning...

If you don't agree with what people are saying... post your "theory", and some samples.....

Everyones a fucking genius.......I love when you geniuses post little one sentence remarks rather than a proper argument including the reasons you dissagree... :rolleyes:

mr. genius:
it doesn't take a genius to figure out that you can't get a LOW-END sound by cutting low end. I love when geniuses post several sentence remarks rather than think about what is going on with respect to recording.

A LEETER TO ALL OF YOU.

I KNOW THAT THE "CUT THE LOW END" STUFF DID AND DOES SOUND WRONG AND I MYSELF DID THINKS SO TO (AT FIRST) BUT THEN I MADE A CD OF THE DRUMS MIXED IN WITH A SOME GUITARS AND BASS AND TESTED THE SOUND OF IT ON MANY CD PLAYERS(THE CAR,BOOM BOX,THE STEREO AND ANOTHER BOOM BOX!) AND THE SOUND I HEARD WAS NOT A LITTLE,SOFT"CLICK SOUND" INSTEND IT WAS A BIG LOW-DOWN BASSY KICK SOUND.
NOT BOOMY BUT LOUD AND CLEAR.

AND THE A TO THE Q "WHAT WILL YOU DO WHEN YOU PLAY LIVE?" IS.... I DON'T PLAY LIVE ALL I A'M IS JUST A SESSION DRUMMER AND AN ENGINEER. BUT IF I DID PLAY LIVE I THINK I
WOULD USE THE SAME SETTINGS.

AND I WOULD PLACE A SAMPLE OF THE SOUND BUT I DO NOT HAVE INTERNET I MY HOME. I'M USING THE COMPUTER AT THE
LYIBRAY. BUT IF I CAN THINK OF A WAY TO GET MY SOUND FOR
MY STUDIO TO MY HOME AND FROM MY HOME TO THE LYIBRAY I
WOULD BE GLAD TO POST A SAMPLE.

REMEMBER....I WAS DOING THIS ON MY VF-16 HARD DISK RECORDER. THERE WAS NOT A COMPUTER THAT I USED! EVEN WHEN I WAS EDITING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'M NOT SAYING THAT I'M A GENUS OR THE BEST DRUMMER(AND I'M NOT!) I JUST WANTED TO HELP THOSE THAT HAD NOT FOUND
THAT SOUND YET. I KNOW YOU GUYS ALREADY KNOW HOW.
BUT WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE IS THE BASS DRUM SOUND THAT WAS
USED IN THE KISS SONG "PYIQUOE CIRCUS" AND MANY MORE.

AND MABYE YOU CAN UNDERSTAND HOW CUTTING THAT MUCH
BASS CAN GIVE YOU A LOW-END SOUND? REMEMER THAT THE HEADS ON THE KICK WAS THE SUPER KICK? YOU SEE, THE SUPER KICK ADDS BASS WHEN YOU PLAY IT SO THAT'S WHY I HAD TO CUT SOME LOW'S

OK?

ZEKE

"thanks to:

ryan ray,long wave studio,ben bee and all the people at
home recording.com "

why am i being thanked on this post?!

is this for telling you about the foam thing?
it works good for some tracks, but at a cost of removing a lot of the character of the bass drum.

cutting the bass in the bass drum track while recording is only good if you know what you're doing, and you want to maintain a good signal to noise ratio. but once you cut those frequencies, why would you want to boost that area again? (i think that was what you were saying).

ok.

sorry for posting this post. i tought you people were nice. this tip does work. i was'nt posting this post for you guys! i was posting it for those people who was like me. people that were going insain trying to get that sound. i know you guys already know this stuff(you prombley know more then me) i just wanted to help somebody. i did not want to get people mad at me. when i came to this site i was amased at how nice people were to each other
even if they did post a dumb post. now, well.... i don't know what to think anymore. music and recording is not about who's
better then me or what kind of recording stuff you have, it's about making friends,learning things,and stuff. but some of you
have almost taken that away. i'm not mad at any of you i'm just sad and disipointed.

sorry.

this maybe may last post here.

zeke sayer
"the 13 year old recording boy" yes it's true,
i'm 13. but i do know what recording is and how
to record. good luck to all of you that have a
dream.

goodbye (mabye or mabye not)

Ah, don't let these old coots sour your day. I am interested in hearing how this sounds; I know you have no home internet access but if you can a sample mp3 clip on a CD you can probably upload it from the library. Hope you can make this happen, because the technique seems so unorthodox that people need to hear it for themselves, know what I mean?

yeah.

yeah. but you see the vf-16(my recorder) is a hard disk recorder so that means that no computer is needed. so how can i get my music onto the internet? anyway? please help me

thanks for that

zeke

I have that same Aquarian kick head, batter and front. It's a strange head. It's the thickest one I've ever used. It sounds very good in my room but I couldn't get a decent kick on tape without removing the front head and using a small towel as a muffle.

Also, that Remo Muffle goes in between the head and the bearing edge. The head doen't even touch the bearing edge! The way the head lies on the bearing edge is very important. To have a piece of thin density plastic between the head and bearing cannot be a good thing. I have that Remo thing and took it off right away. Didn't sound as good as a towel or small pillow. I used it with a Remo batter, not the Aquarian. Although on the front head... I just might give it a try.

Hm. I can't see any way around having a computer to encode a wav file, and from that encode an mp3 file (because waves are kind of large to upload). So unless you have a friend who doesn't mind you messing with his PC, you're out of luck.

hey fenix,

i don;t like sm57's.
now, as far as alot of people tell me, they arn;t too bad.
now i can go and tell them they're all morons, but ya know what?
they got a good sound out of em, otherwise they wouldn;t be talking about how good it sounded. so, what do i do? i take they're word for it, maybe, just maybe they might know something i don't.
ya know what denoucing one man's opinion just because it doesn;t make any obvious sense is?? ignorance. r u ignorant???? (i will assume not, you don;t sound ignorant to me) then why don;t you put up or shut up, go try it out and see for yourself wether cutting lows to get lows works, and if it doesn;t, come express your OPINION about it in a manner thats not offensive.
i'm here because maybe someone here knows something i don;t, and i hope that they are kind enough to pass the knowledge on. So why are you here "genius"?

and by the way all,
from the looks of how he handled this post, with the "sad and dissapointed" part, ZEKE is the most intelegent of them all. i am in the same position as zeke, i came to learn, not to be critisized. if thats the way it'll be (un-constructive critisism), i'll dissapear now and save myself the trouble, lol. i can get that from any rap fan out there.
silly shit doesn;t phase real people, were all men, i'm sure (sorry to any chicks out there) and we can communicate just fine.
back to the music disscussion...

zeke, does the hard disk recorder your using have a built in cd burner?? if so, then burn a mixdown of whatever song and save it as an mp3. (if there is a better, smaller, more efficient file format for sound, pleeeeeeze let me know, mp3's are huge). If you have any friends with internet access at home, try using they're computer. You may want to look into free homepage services (i use geocities - see my homepage) to make the file available. although, they will only allow it to be downloaded once or twice a month, something i'm trying to get around myself.

everyone here is very intelegent and has plenty to help eachother - i watched this forum for weeks before joining :) - i hope to milk it all outta every last one of you "geniuses"
Mike...

Back