headphones for e-drums to block out sounds

Dans Klimkowski

Hi I’m getting a new pair of headphones to use while playing my electronic drums and looking for ones that will sound good and block out the sound of the sticks hitting the rubber pads. Could you please help?

I’d been using the Sony MDRV6 for a while. They are good, but they don’t block out sound very well and I usually hear the sound of the the sticks hitting the rubber pads, unless I put the drum volume very high.

I am wondering if this is avoidable with a different pair of headphones and if any headphones would perform much better/differently. I have only really used the Sony MDRV6, haven’t played/experimented with any others, so I’m wondering if it might make a big difference if I used headphones that were specifically made for electronic drums or headphones with some sort of isolation/noise cancellation features.

Are there other headphones that will more completely block out the sounds of the sticks hitting the rubber pads while playing? And are there any headphones that will produce much different/better sound quality than my current headphones?

Thanks, Dan

The best isolation you could get would be to find a decent set of real ear buds and pair of "shooters muff" type hearing protectors.

I have several pairs CAD MH310s that usually work well enough for me when things are loud in the room, but I haven't tried them for your specific application.

The Sony's actually aren't bad. You could spend a lot more money and not be happy. Beyerdynamic 770s are good, but you need to test them, and any other closed-back phones, for fit over your own ears. Regardless, you're sitting in the middle of a percussion kit, even electronic, so you will hear some of it. I'd try really hard to learn to filter it so you hear, i.e., are listening to, what's coming through your cans.

I do like the idea of in-ears with shooter's muffs on top. The "trick" with IEMs is to get a tight seal (link) with whatever you use. And then get used to never being 100% comfortable...

Back