Headphones for drummers and R/L channel usage

JeffF

As I am on an entry level in recording, I am concerned about drummer's hearing protection. I am looking at the Sennheiser's HD280 headphones, with a rated 32 dB isolation. In this price range, this rating seems typical of phones made for greater isolation.

A few questions on the HD 280's for drummers. . .

1) Would the above rating be sufficient for a drummer's protection?

2) I've read a few consumer reviews on retail sites that the HD 280's are weak on bass response though many commenters said otherwise. Your thoughts on how well these reproduce playing during recording.

About channel configuration while recording the drummer and rhythm guitarist as my initial tracks. . .

3) I will be recording on a Tascam 24 track recorder that has 1 O/P headphone jack. However, there is equipment that allows me to send R/L channels to both the drummer and guitarist. Of important question, please, would drummers generally tend to prefer their signal in a separate channel of the R/L of phones or sent stereo with the rhythm guitar in this scenario? (A separate channel for drummer/guitarist allows for panning their signal, so I am presuming this approach is preferred.)

Thanks for the insight on any of the above questions, JeffF.

Last edited:
After many years of playing and recording drums, I have found that the best thing to use is a good tight-fitting pair of ear-buds. I have a pair of Klipsch ear-buds, they come with (I think) four sizes so you can find the exact fit. They block out (again I think) about 80% of the sound of the kit. This makes it easier to hear a click and the rest of the mix, as well as the sound of the drums in the mix as opposed to separate from the mix. Also, you don't have the problem of getting most of the way through the song, and finding the cans slipping off your head, nothing worse! Hope this helps! drewsdrumtracksdotcom

Last edited:
Drumber here. I have HD 280s.

I am late to the party but, HD 280s are fine for isolation. They will protect well. I am sensitive to the loud drum noises and with the HD280s it is a non-factor.

I do NOT think they have weak bass response. IMO they lack clarity in general but this isn't so terrible that I couldn't recommend them.

I have also used high quality ear buds for drum recording. Those work well too. Between good quality ear buds and HD280s, IMO both will get the job done. Let the drummer choose if you can.

I have use the H280's and they work well. My headphone mix has click, guitar and a little drums. Click and guitar are the big things. The only reason for drums to be in the headphones at all is for a little clarity.

Live, I would just have the click and the backing tracks, with no drums in the headphones.

Back