Guidance regarding live miking of hand percussion

Indio

I play an ancient Indian drum, called a mridangam. It is a two-headed drum with weighted skins, and a sort of precursor to the tabla, but with a less flighty sound.

I play a weekly gig with an accoustic guitar player at a local cafe, and am interested in playing out more, especially with other electrified instruments and drum kit.

I have been using two mikes for the drum. For the right hand side, I use an AKG C1000 condenser. It's bright, but it works quite well for the sound of the drum. For the left hand I use a Shure Beta 57A dynamic. It captures the bassy sounds as well as the crisp slaps very well. I am quite happy with the sound, but the mikes are a little unwieldy, since they can sometimes get in the way of my hands.

I am considering getting tiny mikes with gooseneck attachments. Instead of the AKG C1000 for the right hand, I was thinking of an AMT ERT, it has apparently been designed for hand percussion. Instead of the beta 57A, I was thinking of an AKG d409, it is also a dynamic.

I am hoping that I can continue to capture the natural sound of drums, and also lessen feedback in louder situations (I sit on the floor, pretty close to the monitors!).

Any feedback on my mike choices would be most apreciated.

thanks
Indio

hi indio:

i recently used a single mxl 603 live with a tabla player, and recorded the gig as well. the mic was about 6 inches above the player's hands, pointed right in the middle of the two drums. the recording is extraordinary! we also used a sm58 on the singer who also played harmonium (mic's with a 57....not the best choice).

i was worried the 603 might be too hot (its a condenser) but levels were low and the musician was superb. YMMV....

(don't see too many mridangam players nowadays, altho we did have one show up at a kirtan gig recently...)

blake

Thanks Blake,
I actually get some unique and interesting hip hop and funky grooves with the mridangam, and was planning to collaborate with a full band....and feedback being my main concern...Iwas wondering if the move to these small mikes...would help...

The mikes I have work fine for the acoustic gig...but are still a little unwieldy...

Bobby

Don;'t know about the mics you are talking about, but you might consider 2 Senn e604's, if you 're on a budgetand they are small. Otherwise Senn 421's should do the trick but bulky in a live situation. MXL603's might be nice, but you would definately need 2.
T

Hi,
Prior to this i ve recorded Mrudangam with Two mics one with a normal mic and other with the Rode NT1.
What are the ideal and budget friendly mics to record this going forward ?
Thanks
Balaji

Back